Saturday, June 30, 2012

Crap Happens

You've stepped in dog crap before, right?  Seriously, haven't we all?  Probably most of us more than once if we're honest.  Or is it just me?

I hope you've surmised that I'm not just talking literal here.  I don't think I'm assuming too much to believe that my readers are fairly intelligent people.

I've stepped on crap many times.  Just to name a few, I've married the wrong men (yes, plural).  I've hurt people who didn't deserve it (and some that did), said things to my daughter's in anger that I immediately regretted, gotten involved in bad business deals, gambled money away, spent $50,000 on a pool I didn't need, moved to a state that I hated for 3 years (although it was for a good reason at the time), and so on and so on.  So, when it does happen, what should we do about it?  Wallow in it, have pity parties, throw a temper tantrum?  Don't get me wrong.  A good cry, scream or breaking something might help in the moment and makes for good immediate gratification, but eventually (hopefully sooner than later), you've got to grasp the situation, think logically and clean that @#$% off.  (Thankfully, most of the time God can and does turn our crap into something that smells good.)

No doubt, I've stepped on a lot of crap in my life.  Elephant sized crap.  I've concluded that the best thing to do is simply look at it, acknowledge it, wipe it off and then walk on.  What's the use of getting upset about it?  You can't change it.  The past is the past, including the crap.  God forbid we fail to learn from it. 

Hopefully next time, and there will be a next time, as we're approaching that next pile of dung, we'll have a keener sense of smell, notice the stench of it, turn around or proceed to walk around it.

And that, my friends, comes only from the experience of stepping in it in the first place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So well put ! Sherri A.

Tucson Tom said...

Very well said. I wish I could read cryptic words that prove I'm not a robot.

Victoria said...

I wish you could too, Tucson Tom. And when you figure it out, I hope you'll let us know.