Saturday, June 9, 2012

Barry is Coming to Nashville!

Since I was a little girl, I've LOVED music.  At every chance I had, you'd find me singing and dancing in my room or around the house, in the backyard or up a tree.  Music always took me to another world and in the childhood I grew up in, I longed for those times.

There were my favorites like The Carpenters, Elvis Presley, Helen Reddy, Donny Osmond, Michael Jackson, Dionne Warwick, Eagles, Chicago, Bread!  I loved my records and took such great care of them.  No siblings allowed.  My music meant everything to me. 

But, there were two that were my "special" ones.  I could never get enough of them and wore out my record player listening.  Barbra Streisand and Barry Manilow.  These two weren't human beings to me, they were gods!  I actually thought about them even when I wasn't listening to their music.  I'd wonder what they were doing, who they were with, how they were.  It was crazy!  I dreamed about the day I would be famous because I knew that would be the one way I'd have a chance to meet them both.  I would practice in the mirror what I'd say to each of them and imagined hanging out at their houses and singing by the piano alongside them.  I mean, it is an understatement to say this, but I LOVED them.  "Even Now", I still smile when I hear their songs on the radio (or on my CD player!).

Being that Babs doesn't tour anymore, I had to mourn the fact that my dreams of ever seeing her in person were pretty much over.  Then there was that little business of coming to terms with the fact that since I'll probably never be famous, it was time to let the dream die of meeting them and sharing vacations.

Forunately, Barry IS still singing!  And two days ago, something beautiful happened.  As I was driving home from a speaking engagement, I heard an advertisement on the radio.  It said that tickets are going on sale for a Barry Manilow concert coming to Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on  July 28th Barry Manilow Show!  I was overcome!  I had to pull over.

After a few moments alone, containing myself, I made a promise.   Whatever it takes, however much it costs me, I will be there.  I want to be close enough for him to spit on me while he belts out "Mandy"!!

Friends are laughing at me, they may even think I'm crazy, but I don't care.  I love Barry and I'm going.  I will go alone.  I don't give a rat's @#*& what people think!.  I'm going to see Barry!  My Barry!  Am I dreaming?!  I will imagine he's singing just to me.

So, Barry, I'm coming!  You can count on it.  "I Can't Smile Without You!" and I'm still pinching myself.   

No comments: