Tuesday, June 19, 2012

To Date or Not to Date?

My daughter, Kolby, wants to start dating.  In my house, the rule has always been no dating until  16 years old.  She just had a birthday May 14.  She's now 16.  The "magic" number.  This does not in any way mean that on my daughter's respective 16th birthdays, it became a rite of passage.  It just means that at 16, we can sit down and explore the possibilities of dating someone. 

When I was 16, I got married the first time.  There is no doubt in my mind that my own experience as a married teenager wharped my mind.  Actually, that's probably an understatement.  I'm  happy to say that all of my daughter's have reached this magical age, without a marriage ceremony or elopement.  And that's a good thing.  I'd like to think it had something to do with the way I've raised them?  On the other hand, my girls' would probably say it's because they're much smarter than I was at 16.  They find it insane that I was married at 16 and I must admit I agree with them.

Kolby has a strong interest in a guy, who apparently is worth her approaching the subject with me.  So far, I've found this young man to be quite impressive.  The fact that he seems to be a heck of a guy brings comfort to me.  It makes me feel confident that my daughter recognizes a good guy when she sees one.

The jury's still out though.  I'll decide soon if I think Kolby's mature enough to embark on this unfamiliar territory.  There's just so much more to teenage dating than the boy/girl relationship to consider.  She doesn't get that yet.  To her, I'm just overbearing, overprotective and ridiculous.  I'm OK with that. 

I'm a Mom.  It's what I do.

No comments: