Saturday, June 2, 2012

Happy Birthday To Me!

It's my birthday today.  I was born in 1964, so you can do the numbers if it's that big of a deal.  I still feel like I'm in my 20's, some say I look like I'm still in my 30's and I wouldn't trade the wisdom age has brought me for anything (ok, maybe there is something, but I'll keep that to myself).
I look in the mirror at this woman who is definitely changing and I think, "Who are you and what have you done with me?"  I don't feel as "mature" as my body's telling me I am, which causes this conflict within me.  I heard an 80 year old woman say once that on the inside she's in her 20's, it's the outside that's not cooperating.  I so get that!

Yes, today is my birthday. Sadly, it feels like any other day. It's just not that big of a deal anymore when you get to be my age and that kinda, sorta sucks. Sure, I miss the excitement of a huge birthday party and lots of presents. I miss my dad calling me at 12:01 saying "Happy Birthday Baby Girl!" Come to think of it, I miss a lot of things. Not trying to sound like I'm having a pity party over here because I'm not. I have a great life. I have challenges and obstacles to overcome like everyone else, but I'm truly blessed. Most days for me are special. I have a fantastic family, amazing friends, an incredible career, a nice home and I'm a grandmother to a fantastic kid! 

In the 48 years of my life, I've been married (more than once), I've fallen in love (more than once), I've hurt others (more than once), I've disappointed myself (more than once), I've made mistakes (more than once), I've lied (more than once), I've had children (more than once) and I've cried (more than once).

Life experiences make you better or bitter.  I'd like to think, for the most part, I'm better.  It's not that I haven't had experiences that have made me bitter, don't get me wrong, but I've tried my best not to stay there.  I'm a work in progress. I may not be where I need to be, but thank God, I'm not where I used to be either!
So, Happy Birthday to Me.  I've said that before (more than once).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to YOU. I love you. You inspire me!

Kim Bumgarner said...

Happy Birthday just a little late; but you know what they say, "Better late than never". I had forgotten that your birthday & my dads is the same day. I still love you girl; it's been a long, long time since we've seen each other & a lot longer since we hung out around the neighborhoods, but I
always think of you as one of my best friends even now. Can't wait to see you again when you come to town.

Victoria said...

Thank you Anonymous! I wish I knew who you were.

Kim, your words are sweet and kind. Thank you. I can't wait to see you again too. I may be in town sooner than later, so we'll have to get a Grandview/Hickory High group together. I look forward to it!