Thursday, June 14, 2012

She's 30!

I'm in total shock today.  My oldest baby has reached a new milestone in her life, as have I.  Today, my daughter has turned 30. Yes, I have a 30 year old, adult, married daughter who's also the mother to my 3 year old granddaughter.  Unbelievable shock.  I don't know how else to describe how I'm feeling today. 

My first born.  I was 18 when I had Teryn and just a baby.  I'd already been married almost 2 years, (yes, I married at 16), but I was still a baby myself! 

I remember vividly the day I found out I was pregnant.  My breasts had been hurting so bad for weeks and I didn't know why.  It was freaking me out.  I told Teryn's father I needed to go and get checked out, so I made an appointment to see my gynecologist.  Little did I know this was one of the first signs of being pregnant.  I was just a kid.  Every thought was going through my mind.  Was something wrong with me?  Did I have a disease?  Darnit, I'm only 18, why do my boobs hurt so bad?!?  Of course, 4 daughter's and 30 years later, I understand tender breasts are a first sign of pregnancy.

I drove myself to the doctor, rehearshing what I'd say to him.  I felt so embarassed to tell him why I was there.  When I got into the exam room, the nurse started asking questions.  The doctor ordered a pregnancy test right away, of which I didn't understand at all.  What did my sore, tender breasts have to do with a baby?! I thought.  He was back right away with the news.  "As I suspected, you're pregnant, congratulations!"  I was stunned, excited, scared and couldn't wait to get home.

The drive home was a blur.  I couldn't stop smiling and touching my stomach.  I was having a baby!  There were no cell phones to call anyone.  It was the longest 20 minute drive of my life! 

I clearly remember opening the door to our tiny, duplex apartment to find Teryn's father lying on the floor watching sports.  With a huge smile on my face, I simply said, "Hi Daddy."  He was as shocked as I was. 

Then the phone calls began.  My family was thrilled.  As the oldest and only married daughter, this would be the first grandchild and great-grandchild. 

Like clockwork, the morning sickness began.  And it never stopped til my 5th month.  My sense of smell was so acute that any smell set me off.  We'd just bought a new car and that new smell that I now enjoy so much, made me vomit everytime I got in the car.  We sold it.

I started wearing maternity clothes right away.  I was proud and wanted everyone from the grocery store clerk to the mailman to know I was having a baby!  This was one of the happiest times of my life and I was determined to share it with everyone.  My first pregnancy.  My first baby.  My little T.T.

My marriage to her father didn't work out (that's what happens when you get married at 16), but my relationship with Teryn continues to grow, mature and nurture.  She is my daughter and she is my friend.  I not only love her, I like her very much.  That makes me very happy.

Throughout Teryn's life, (for the most part!), it's been a joy to be her mother.  I'm truly blessed.  Now, she's a mother herself and I can sit back and watch the fruits of my labor.

Happy Birthday, Teryn Brittany, my Little T.T.  I love being your Mommy.  And I love you high as the sky, deep as the sea and all the air that's in between.

No comments: