Saturday, February 2, 2008

Oh, Bikki, is dat her name?


One of my most favorite people in the world is my Granny. Her given name is Esperanza. That means Hope in Spanish. My grandmother was born in Panama. She came to the United States after marrying the love of her life, an American man who was stationed there, 45+years ago.

My grandmother is not only the sweetest woman you'll ever meet, she's a walking comedy show. I refer hanging out with her to a Cheech and Chong episode (without the drugs!). She's a riot. I will share many stories in the coming months about my Granny and here's the first one.

Because of my speaking schedule, I travel quite a bit. With two daughter's still at home, I have to juggle sometimes to find places for them to stay when I have to go out of town. On top of that, we have a dog, a maltipoo named Gabby. One particular trip, as I pondered over whether to kennel her or not, I decided to ask my Granny if she'd like to keep her for me. She said yes. This would be the first time Granny had ever met Gabby. She was excited about taking care of her and looked forward to the company.

So, Gabby and I made the 30 minute drive over the river and through the woods to Granny's house! Gabby didn't know what to think, but caught on quickly that she would not be coming back home with me. I made sure I brought everything Gabby would need for her 4 day visit. I had brought a bag with her leash, food, treats and a chewy bone. I gave specific instructions for Granny on how to take care of her.

Granny listen intently to every word. She said, "Oh, Bikki, she be fine." I left confident knowing that my Gabby Girl was in great, safe hands!

Four days later, I made the trip back to Granny's house to pick Gabby up. She was at the door waiting for me. She couldn't stop jumping on me. I was happy to see her too. I kept saying, "Hi Gabby Girl, my Gabby Girl, I missed you too!"

My grandmother stood by and watched our sweet reunion and then out of the blue says, "Oh, Bikki, is dat her name?" (You must remember that my Granny is Panamanian so she speaks with a heavy spanish accent.) I said, "What, Granny?" She said, laughing hysterically, "Oh, Bikki, I forgot her name!" "Are you kidding me, Granny? What have you been calling her for the past four days?" I asked.

And my sweet little Granny looked at me and said as matter of fact as she could, "Well, Bikki, I just say, come here pouppy, come here pouppy and she comes".

God love her.

2 comments:

The Chapins said...

gotta love that granny! : ) i miss my gabby goose. please give her a hug from me. I LOVE YOU!

St. of Words said...

ohhhh little granny. i love how she still to this day doesn't know my name is TAWNI not TAWNA. oh well. once they reach that age...you just let em go!