Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I've fallen....on purpose!

If you have only been reading my blog and have failed to log onto the "blogs I read daily", you don't know what you're missing! Come on, get with the program. It's not like you have anything better to do than check out 7 blogs a day!! My sister's blog (a pilot's life for me), my daughter's blogs, they're all great!

Ok, so my sister's latest blog is about my nephew Nolan and the things he says. It's hilarious. All true too. And it got me thinking about something that one of my girl's said to me recently.

Since my daughter's were small, I have made a point to let them know how valuable I think they are, to me and to God. I was determined to instill in each of them confidence and high self esteem (not arrogance, but confidence, there's a difference!). One of the ways I did this was by letting them know that God had the very best in mind for their lives. I've always told them that the men that marry them are the four luckiest men on the planet. (just a bonus that they get me as a mother-in-law!)

As parent's, we sometimes make the mistake of believing that our children don't listen to what we say or do, but we're way wrong. At different times in my daughter's lives, there is something that I've always done and always will.

Picture this: One of them walks in the room, I fall on the floor in a faint like way and gasp as I'm looking up at them. They scream, "Mommy, what's the matter?" I say, gasping for air, "Of all the 10 year olds (or 4 year olds, or 18 or 22 year olds, depending on their age at the time) God gave me you and allowed me to be your mommy! I'm the luckiest woman in the world!" My girls (every one of them!) would look at me and say, a bit agitated, I might add, "Oh, Mommy, get up off the floor! Stop doing that! Why do you always have to do that!?"

Yea, it would hurt my feelings sometimes. But, I never let them know it. I didn't want to make them feel bad.

:)Sidenote: Teryn and Tawni are now married women. They've both told me that they loved it when I did that. I guess they just couldn't let me know it at the time. :)

A few months ago, I was having a bad day. A really bad day. I'm talking about one of those crying, don't want to get out of bed bad days, which I rarely have. Kolby, my youngest, was home with me. I tried to hide it, but she knew I was sad about something. I was lying on the couch when I heard Kolby screaming from upstairs, "Mommy, come here! Hurry, Mommy, I need you!"

As any good mother would do, I darted up the stairs to see what had happened to my beautiful, baby girl! Had she hurt herself? Did she burn herself with the curling iron....again? All I knew was I couldn't get to her fast enough.

When I reached her bedroom, Kolby was lying on the floor, gasping for air. I was in a panic! "Baby, what is it, are you alright? What happened?"

She looked up at me with those beautiful, huge brown eyes of hers and said, "Oh Mommy, out of all the Mommies in the world, God gave me you! I get to be your daughter! I am the luckiest girl in the world!"

And right at that moment, in a split second, I didn't even remember what I'd been crying about.

4 comments:

St. of Words said...

that brought tears to my eyes. little kolbs. i loooved that you did that to me. a little funny, and i loved that. i'm a sucker for those moments with you, ya know...the lame voices, the mama and tawni bear talk...i love all the cheeziness because it's "us" it's how we have always been and how i will be when i'm 50 years old and i'm taking care of you in an old home. i will walk in with my cheezy self and say "Moooooom! I looove you moooom!"
:)you are so loved by so many.

"To Be Strong". said...

I would have loved to have been a little mouse in the corner watching you "fall out!!" You have done well my friend, not only as a mother, but as a friend. Hey check Hannah Banana's blog out:
http://hannahg96.blogspot.com/
Make sure you give it to Kolby.

Anonymous said...

That is so precious and all I can say is that if I were to do that with my boys they would probably just step over me while asking me "hey mom what's for dinner". You are an amazing mother my sweet friend and an invaluable friend your Tawni Bear is right when she says that you are loved by so many, especially me!!!!

The Pilot's Wife said...

I fainted, I am gasping for air I can't breathe! Why you ask? because I cant believe that God has blessed me so much that he gave me you as a sister! Love ya
me