Friday, February 15, 2008

"Have you heard about?"

We've all done it. Started it. Listened in on it. Spread it or at the very least, participated in it. What I'm referring to is gossip.

What a nasty little word. And deadly. The damage it can cause can be devastating to someone's life. Yet, most people continue to do it. I am convinced that gossip hurts people more than the truth does. I'm a witness.

As you know, I've recently gone through a divorce. I've said in previous blogs that I've learned a lot about myself these past two years and it's true. But, I've also learned even more about other people. I'm not referring to their personal lives, but their character. I've also learned who my true friends are and can tell you that this was one of the hardest lessons of them all.

Have you ever gotten that phone call from a friend or colleague where they just HAVE to tell you something? You know what I mean. They just heard some news and they just had to share it with you. It goes something like this, "Hi. How are you? Good, good. Hey, did you hear about...? I just thought you'd like to know." Or I just love this one, "You know I'm a Christian so I'm not trying to gossip, but I wanted to tell you about what I just heard so you can PRAY about it." I call this one "gossipping in the name of Jesus" gossip. This one is the most disturbing of all. How about next time instead of getting on the "prayer" (gossip) chain and asking for "prayer", you get on your own knees and pray for them yourself! This is one of the reasons that I'm convinced people don't go to church anymore. They witness for themselves how "Christians" judge, treat others and gossip and they want no part of it. Come on, let's not play dumb. We all know what gossip looks, smells and tastes like.

Why is it that so many people get joy out of gossiping about someone's life or misfortune? I have no place for people like this in my life. As a matter of fact, I've lost friends because of it. For whatever reason, there are some who like to gossip about me. I've had to develop thick skin over the years. It hasn't been easy, but with God's help, I've been able to it. He's showed me that it doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks about me, it only matters what He thinks. I love that.

You'd think that people have better things to do than go around talking or worrying about someone else's life? I guess not. Did you know that in the bible, God places a gossiper in the same category as a murderer! Ouch. This would be called a clue as to what He thinks about it.

Yes, we all do it or have done it at one time or another in our lives. No matter how you look at it, it's wrong. So the next time you find yourself eager to hear about someone's life or what so and so says or so and so did, try reading a book, take up a hobby, play a sport, workout or get a job. Obviously, you've got way too much time on your hands.

Or you could just heed this great advice:

"SHUT UP!"

2 comments:

"To Be Strong". said...

Hey, did you hear the news about Victoria? She just gave out some really good advice!!:)
Love, Val

The Pilot's Wife said...

tell it like it is girl!but remember when I tell you something its called sharing.. I was taught it was good to share! ha ha
Love Me