Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Legacy


Legacy. Big word. There's even a song by that name. I sang it at my father's memorial service. The chorus says, "I want to leave a legacy. How will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things? I want to leave an offering. A child of mercy and grace, who blessed Your name, unapologetically. I want to leave a legacy." I love that song. I've been thinking a lot about the legacy I want to leave lately for those that are important to me.

I don't know about you, but I've royally screwed up enough in my 44 years to last a lifetime, but it's good to know that until I stop breathing, I can continue towards the goal of making a difference in my life, as well as one on other's. I'm blessed that the work I do has filled me with a sense of great accomplishment. In the nine years being associated with the Crisis Center, I'd like to think I've made a difference in someone's life. I'd like to believe that the tens of thousands of teenagers that I've spoken in front of over the years have made better choices because of something I may have said.

Just this week, I was an integral part of making history at the center. A few months ago, I presented a program to the Board, believed in it wholeheartedly and "sold" it with passion. And last week, I was given approval to implement it. It is a program that will bring help to homeless families for years to come. This has been a humbling and incredibly fulfilling outcome professionally, but more so, personally.

Yes, these things are truly satisfying, but, in all honesty, the greatest legacy I want to leave is to my children. I long for them to be proud of me. I want to know they're happy with God's decision in allowing me the priviledge of being their mommy. I've let them down many times, but always tried to do my best. By no means have I been perfect. My four daughters are my greatest accomplishments.
Hmmm. Funny. I just realized if I died today, I've already left a great legacy through four of the most amazing females I've ever known. If I do say so myself.

Legacy. Big word.

1 comment:

The Pilot's Wife said...

Kudos on your success!
Love me