Friday, April 18, 2008

For Adrienne

It is with great sadness that I write this morning's blog. My sister-in-law Adrienne lost her father two days ago. They had a very close, special relationship. She's having an incredibly hard time. I don't think that anyone who hasn't experienced the loss of a parent can fully understand the pain and agony that a child feels when Mom or Dad have left them. It doesn't matter how old you are, losing a parent is excruciatingly painful.

Losing my own father almost three years ago was one of the hardest things I've ever been through in my life, so I both empathize and sympathize with what she's going through.

It's times like these that we need to take a long, hard look at what life is really about. We need to realize how short it can be. So, stop and take stock today. Have you let those in your life know how much they mean to you? Are you still holding grudges or unforgiveness towards someone? Have you said words you regret that you need to apologize for? Is there someone you need to make something right with? Come on, pick up the phone, write that letter, swallow your pride. Because in the big picture, it's really not worth it.

I wanted to ask each of you to pray for Adrienne, my brother Robbie and their family. This has been very hard for all of them. I was so honored yesterday when my brother called to ask if I could sing at the funeral tomorrow. My prayer is that I will be able to bless this family in their time of grief by singing their father's favorite song:

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now I am found, was blind, but now I see."

God bless you Adrienne. We love you.

3 comments:

St. of Words said...

Yes, we love you so much Adrienne.

Anonymous said...

I've said my prayers and have asked for something special; that my mom who has been in Heaven since December 8th 2005 please seek Adrienne's father out and introduce him to all the fine souls in residence. My heart is aching for the entire family....

The Pilot's Wife said...

This brought back that week we were with Dad.It is something you never get over.Death sucks.
Love,
Me