Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Seizures and Such

Four months ago, our precious Maltipoo, Gabby, began having seizures.  The first one scared the bejezus out of us.  Kolby was hysterical while I took off to the neighbors, who's a vet tech.  Jess rushed over, tried to calm us down and spoke softly to Gabby as she was experience her episode.  It was so pitiful to stand by and watch Gabby stiffin up and see the look of terror in her eyes.  It was a helpless feeling not being able to help her in any way.  All we could do was wait for it to end.

Kolby and I were crying and convinced Gabby was dying right in front of us. The whole thing lasted about 5 minutes until she slowly began to come out of it.  Shortly thereafter, she was our Gabby Girl once again.  Jess explained that it wasn't as bad as it looked and advised that we watch her over the next few months.  She said this was typical in a dog Gabby's age.

A month later, it happened again.  Repeat above scenario.  With all the moving preparations, we decided to wait until we reached Nashville to see if and when it happened again.  A week after arriving, it did.  Time for a vet visit. 

After spending $275, the vet explained that Gabby most likely has a brain tumor.  To be sure, she recommended a CT scan ($1500), followed by brain surgery ($2500) to remove it.  I love my dog.  She's been my faithful companion for 9 years and is the smartest, most loving dog in the world, but there's no way I'm spending $4000 for a vet bill.  The girls' weren't very happy with me and the vet treated me like I should be reported to ASPCA.  We never went back.

Two weeks ago, Gabby had another seizure and last night another one.  Today, I took her to a new vet.  She basically gave the same diagnosis.  The difference was that she 100% supported my decision and didn't even suggest spending the money for a CT scan.  If she were in my shoes, she told me she would do the same thing.  She couldn't give a guarantee how long Gabby will be around.  It could be 6 months or a few years.  She suggested I take her home and enjoy every day with her.  I asked her about putting her on medication to control the seizures and she said if we did that she'd  most likely become lethargic and her quality of life would diminish greatly.  Gabby still loves to play and is very active.  So she has a seizure once in a while.  I can live with that.

I made a decision.  I came home and told the girl's.  We will enjoy our Gabby Girl for however long she's got.  We'll love her, cuddle her and play catch with her, like we always have.

And then I thought about something.  Medical bills aside, it's the same thing with people.  We don't know how long we've got either.  We don't have a clue how long we'll get to enjoy eachother, love, cuddle and play together.   

Hmmm, maybe the Vet is on to something :)

1 comment:

Andie vs.The Kitchen (and Life) said...

Poor Gabby. Enjoy every moment with her. I'll be praying for you guys.