Saturday, August 20, 2011

My College Student, Kendra Taylor

My daughter Kendra is trying to make one of the most important decisions she's ever made to date.  Where to go to college.  She's been in a community college in N.C. her first year and did amazingly well.  Her plan is to complete her Associate Degree and afterwards transfer to a university to complete her goal of a Bachelor's in Business.

But, since our move to Nashville, Kendra decided she wanted to be near her Mommy and sisters.  She started her search and found a great college near Teryn's house.  She registered and was set to arrive this week.  Two days ago, she learned the differences in costs of being an out-of-state student vs. staying where she is.  So, she's now reconsidering her plans.  Am I bummed that my excitement over having all four of my girls in the same town that I live may not come to fruition?  Absolutely.  Am I more proud of her than I've ever been during her college career?  You bet I am.

She told me last night that as she said good-bye to her boyfriend as he leaves for an out-of-state university that requires a tuition of around $21,000 a year, it frustrates her a little bit.  His parent's can easily afford to send him.  I can't afford to do that and her father refuses to help her financially since she made the decision not to attend a ministry college as he wanted her to.  She told me it just wasn't fair that everyone isn't afforded the luxury of going where they want to go.   I told her she could go where she wanted to, she would just have to take out a student loan.  She responded that she didn't want to start her adult life in debt.  Wow.

I"m incredibly proud of the mature decision that Kendra seems to be making.  I know it won't be an easy one for her, but the tuition goes from $2700 where she is to $7000 to come here!  Yes, she desperately wants to be here with her family and isn't fond of  her current living situation (her landlord refuses to get the internet, which is a basic need and must for college!) nor will he supply basic cable!  But that's another blog waiting to be written.  She continues to prove that I indeed raised a conscientious, young woman.  I will miss not having her around as I thought I would.  But today, I'm smiling.

My Little Sweet Pea has become an adult woman.  Where have the days of Barney gone?

No comments: