Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Conversation with An Atheist

It went something like this.

Atheist:  "So, tell me about this faith of yours?"

Me:  "I'd love to!  I believe Jesus is the Son of God, born of a Virgin, lived a sinless life and became the ultimate sacrifice when He died on a cross for our sins.  We can't have fellowship with a Holy God if we have sin in our lives, so through Jesus' sacrifice and accepting that sacrifice as truth, it creates a bridge for us to have fellowship with the One True God.  It also establishes our place in Heaven and saves us from Hell.  Jesus said, "Noone comes to the Father except through Me."  And not only does He forgive our sins, He forgets them!  Sounds pretty amazing to me!"

Atheist:  "You really believe this "saving" crap and that there's a place called Heaven and a place like Hell where you burn forever?"

Me:  "Absolutely.  And I believe what the bible says about Heaven too.  That it's a beautiful place paved with streets of gold, there is no pain, no disease or heartache, I will have my own mansion and I will forever spend eternity with God.  No more suffering, confusion, broken hearts!  Who wouldn't want to live there?  It sounds awesome!  I also believe that Hell is a horrible place where non-believers will spend eternity.  Yes, I do believe this with all my heart."

Atheist:  "Seriously?! 

Me:  "Seriously.  Tell me what you believe anyway."

Atheist:  "That when we die, we just rot in the ground.  That's it.  Period.  There is nothing else."

Me:  "That's pretty sad.  I mean, seriously, we just rot?"

Atheist:  "So, you're willing to live your life believing in the Bible and a dude named Jesus?"

Me:  "I see it this way.  If I strive to live my life as the Bible teaches, which consists of treating others the way I'd want to be treated, loving others as I love myself, following the Ten Commandments, etc., I'd say I'd be proud of the life I'd lived."

Atheist:  "Well, what if you're wrong about Jesus, the Bible and all this Heaven stuff?"

Me:  "You mean if I'm wrong and you're right?  Hmmm, let's see.  I'd still say I would have lived a pretty good life, so I wouldn't say I'd have lost anything.  I'd just die and rot in the ground like you say I would.  But, what if I'm right and you're wrong?  The way I see it, you, my friend, will have gained nothing and lost everything."

As for me, my faithful readers, I'm not willing to take that chance.

2 comments:

Janet Rackley said...

Amen girl! Way to go! I wholeheartedly agree with you!

Mary Louise Sapp said...

You go,Girl!! Loved reading it. Miss seeing you,