Monday, May 4, 2009

Listen Before You Speak!

The other day as George, Kolby and I were hanging out, our home phone rang. I answered. It was a man asking for a Mr. Robinson. The only Mr. Robinson I've ever known was my dad and he resides in Heaven now.

Now, you have to understand something. Ever since our phone was hooked up, at least three times a week, we get a call for this guy. Apparently, this Mr. Robinson skipped town without paying his debts. Morning, afternoon and even late in the evening, a bill collector calls for this guy and on this day, darnit, I was determined to put a stop to it.

So, this guy says in a very nice manner, "Hello, can I speak with Mr. Thomas Robinson?" Well, that was it for me. I've had it! I went off on him. I said, "Look, I'm getting really tired of these calls every week. I tell you people the same thing every time you call! I've told you over and over again that no Mr. Robinson lives here, I've never met him, never talked to him, seen him or had one conversation with him! Do you think I'm lying?! You people have harassed me for the last time! Stop calling here! Do you understand what I'm saying?! Stop calling my house! Now, take this number off your call list because HE DOESN"T LIVE HERE ANYMORE!" I felt really proud of myself. This was it. I was going to save our family from one less interuption in our lives!
Kolby and George stared at me in disbelief. They couldn't believe their ears. I just smiled at them and thought they'd give me a high five. They didn't. I thought they'd be so proud of me. They weren't. Then, the unthinkable happened.

The sweet old guy on the other end says, "I am so sorry, mam. I'm not calling about any unpaid bills. I'm with the police benevolence fundraising team and we were just calling to see if Mr. Robinson would like to donate again this year to our cause. I didn't mean to bother you. Please pardon me. But, can I ask, if maybe your family would like to donate?" I took a deep breath, felt my cheeks turn red and managed to say, "Well, no, but thanks for calling."

George and Kolby just shook their heads. That was after they got off the floor from laughing.

1 comment:

Ann said...

That sounds like something that would happen to me.......luv you guys.