Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Field Trip, Field Trip, We're goin on a Field Trip!

I just returned from a field trip with my youngest daughter, Kolby. She's in 7th grade. I used to do this all the time. I've always been the Mom who wanted to go on every trip I could with all my girls because my own mother never could. I'm the Mom who ate lunch with them once a week, went on field trips, brought cup cakes on their birthdays, etc. etc.

But something tragic happened every time each of my girl's started middle school. I WAS BANNED FROM EVER SHOWING UP TO THEIR SCHOOL FOR ANY REASON!

The first time it happened, the news came from Teryn and I cried for days. She never knew. Then it was Tawni's turn. She actually wasn't as bad about it as the rest. She's always had a sensitive heart, but still never insisted that I visit. Kendra forbid me to show up at her school when she was still in elementary school, never mind middle! Kolby, being a lot like Tawni gave me hope that since she was the youngest that she'd have mercy on me and allow me to continue my weekly visits with her into 6th grade. She didn't.

So, when she called me on Monday to say, "Mommy, my teacher needs one more chaperone for our field trip. So, do you want to come?" I had to play it cool. My heart was racing. I couldn't stop smiling. "Why, sure, Kolby, anything I can do to help out." When I hung up the phone, I was jumping for joy in my office. My staff probably thought I was crazy. They're kinda used to that.

So, this morning, I packed our sack lunches, put on my shorts and got ready for my big day. I knew this could be it for me. I wanted to make it count. I received a text from Kolby before I left the house. It said, "Please look pretty." Now, the pressure was on. I checked myself out, changed clothes three times, put on more blush and lipstick and hoped for the best!

I got to the school and she seemed pleased. She introduced me to her friends so I figured I'd passed. It was off to the Desert Museum. Yes, that's what I said. The Desert Museum. Where would you find one of these? Well, you guessed it. Right smack in the middle of the hot Arizona desert. For 3 1/2 hours, we walked around, in 98 degree weather looking at spiders, snakes, bees, havelinas, coyotes, lizards of every size, beetles, etc. etc.! But, I must say, it was worth it to me.

If I'm ever priviledged again to be invited on another field trip, I'll be honored to go. But, I sure hope it's to a movie.

1 comment:

The Pilot's Wife said...

This is my last yr on going on class field trips,which I never liked, but next yr I get to go on a bunch of field trips with the best kids in the class!:)They dont get a choice either, because if I dont go , they don't go.... but lets be honest, they will have the prettiest mom chaperone in the whole school!