Thursday, May 21, 2009

Dear Baby C


Dear Baby Girl Chapin,

I thought I should introduce myself to you, being that you will be here soon. I'm your grandmother. Not sure what you're going to call me as of yet, but whether it's Gigi, Mimi, Nana or G-Mommy, it doesn't change the fact that I'm your grandmother. Your Mommy's Mommy. You see, just as you are living and resting comfortably in your Mommy's tummy, your own Mommy lived in mine 27 years ago. Can you believe it's almost time? You're almost here! It's taken 9 long months, but the day is soon approaching. Within just a matter of weeks, not months, we will hold you in our arms, gaze at your beautiful face and proudly claim you to be ours. It hasn't been easy being so far away from your Mommy during this time. But, I've enjoyed seeing her belly grow through pictures. And, man, has it grown!

I want to tell you something amazing. I already love you. I haven't even met you, but I'm crazy about you. We're not sure what your name is going to be. Your Mommy and Daddy want to wait until they see you and then they'll know. I want you to know that you were very wanted by not just your Mommy and Daddy, but all of us. Your Aunt's, Tawni, Kendra and Kolby have been waiting for this moment for a long time. As soon as your Mommy and Daddy got married, they were asking, "When are you going to have a baby?"

Your room is ready. It's beautiful. Your parent's have everything ready for you. You already own your first pair of Uggs (these are very expensive boots, your grandmother doesn't even own a pair!). And let's not forget about your hoity toity stroller! It's called a Bug-a-Boo, so please be careful not to spit up on that $900 ride of yours! I know that's a lot of pressure, but you can handle it. You have good DNA.

You come from a strong line of women. I know you are going to be a courageous and brave little girl, just like your Mommy. You're going to be compassionate, generous and kind, just like your Aunties. And I'm really hoping you have the musical talent of your Daddy.

What do I hope you'll get from me? My prayer is that you will only inherit my good qualities. You'll find out soon enough that your grandmother isn't perfect, but she tries hard to be the best she can be. I try to admit when I'm wrong and work hard at humbling myself to ask others for forgiveness when I've hurt or wronged them, which I've done more times than I'd like to admit. But, all I've ever wanted was for my own children to be proud of me. To be loved and respected by them and to be there when they need me.

I promise you that I want to do the same for you. I'll always be here for you, love you unconditionally, teach you, pray for you daily and accept you for who you are, (although you may have to cut me some slack at times!). I promise to always tell you the truth, even when it hurts. And don't tell Mommy and Daddy, but when you're with me, we'll eat, buy noisy toys and do whatever we want!

I'll see you soon, little one. Know that you have my heart. Just like your Mommy does.

1 comment:

St. of Words said...

your daughters are proud of you. that's not something you need to worry about. baby c will be too.