Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dear T.T.


She's almost here. Can you believe it? I'm sure the time has crawled for you, but it has flown by for me. I can't believe it. I remember when I was pregnant with you and now here you are about to give birth to your own daughter. This experience has been truly surreal for me, as I'm sure it has been for you. Until your own daughter tells you she's expecting her first child, it will be hard for you to fully understand what I'm feeling during this time, but I still wanted you to know a few things.

First of all, the moment you conceived my granddaughter, you became a mother. Yes, I know within a matter of days, you will physically hold her in your arms, but you accepted the responsibility of being her Mommy the moment you knew you were pregnant. Have you realized that you've already begun making sacrifices for her, just like any good mother would do? By taking care of yourself, for the sake of your baby, you've joined the "Good Mommy Club". I know it hasn't been easy denying yourself many of the luxuries you enjoyed pre-pregnancy. You remember that glass of wine, size 2 jeans, sleeping on your stomach and yoga classes?

You traded them for morning sickness, sleepless nights, swollen ankles, heartburn, new clothes and let's not forget that swollen belly! See, you've already been taking care of her these past 9 months and made countless sacrifices for her already. And I'm sure you haven't minded or given it a second thought. I never did. It may not seem like it right now, Teryn, but every bit of what you've been through and are going through, is worth it. I promise you will never regret it. I never did.

You will be a mother to my granddaughter that makes your own mother proud. I know this because I've witnessed with my own eyes the kind of woman you've become. You're a wonderful wife and you will be a wonderful mother. You've always had that "mother" thing going on. You started taking on the role as the "other mother" from the moment each of your sisters were born. More times than I can count, I would just sit back and watch you with them. You are a natural.

Your daughter, my granddaughter, is a very lucky and blessed little girl. She has a Mommy who's intelligent enough to take the good of what her own Moommy taught her and to teach her own daughter the same. I also know that you're smart enough to do your best not to make the same mistakes I made with you or your sisters. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm so excited about this time of your life, Teryn. This will be one of the happiest of yours and Chad's marriage. The birth of your first child. All the firsts that come with it. Her first smile. Her first word. Her first step. Her first day of school. Cherish each one of these moments. You will miss them. I sure do.

These last few weeks of pregnancy can be so uncomfortable, I know, but enjoy it. This is a special time that you can never get back. From the morning after she's born, you will miss being pregnant. Yes, seriously, you'll miss it, especially feeling her move. You and your daughter will never be as close as you are right now, so take it all in and remember as much as you can. There's something about this time of your life that will be precious to you all the days of your life.
Trust me. I know this. I'm a Mommy too.

No comments: