Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Could It Be A Year Already?



A year ago today.  That's the day that my best friend, Trudy, went into the hospital for surgery.  A surgery that was supposed to take a few hours, with a week of recovery and then a trip home, good as new.  I remember the day well.  During our phone conversation the night before, she told me she was afraid, but she said she also had a peace and was excited and anticipating a good outcome.  The cancer was on her right lung and the doctor was going to do his best to extract it, without taking the entire lung out.  The picture above was taken by Terry, Trudy's husband, when we all arrived at the hospital just 2 hours before her surgery.  From left to right, my daughter, Tawni, Trudy and me.  Does she look sick to you?!  Me either.  Although she was scared, she was also at peace with her decision to have the surgery.  The doctor had said there was a less than 1% chance she wouldn't survive, so the odds were definitely in her favor.

She called me at 5:00 am as she drove to the hospital.  We had a great talk.  My daughter, Tawni, and I were going to meet her there and we were on our way also.  She told me, "Vic, I'm scared."  I said, "Just look at it this way.  If all goes well, as we anticipate it will, you win.  You're healthy again!  And, if it doesn't, you're going to be with Jesus.  You win again!  So, it's a win-win for you!"  That made her laugh and feel better.  Of course, I was partly lying about my excitement at the latter outcome, but I said what I felt needed to be said.

When we arrived at the hospital, it was the same joking around, laughing and carrying on.  Her surgery was postponed a little bit, so we had more time together in the waiting room than we originally thought we would.  That was ok with us because, as usual, we were having a blast together.
She was scared, I knew that, but she didn't want to show it.  I was scared too, but there was no way I was going to let her sense anything in me other than confidence.  Terry, her husband, was being the amazing, supportive husband he always was, telling her how proud he was of her courage and continually touching her and reminding her how much he loved her.  She knew that she was surrounded by 3 people who adored her.  Me, Tawni and Terry.

Little did we know that when they wheeled her away for surgery, she would never be the same.  And that she wasn't coming home.  Ever.  She spoke to me after the surgery and could barely breathe.  That was the last time I'd hear her voice.  She died 3 days later.
I miss you Trudy Taylor.  More today than ever and I will love you forever.

No comments: