Monday, July 30, 2012

More Than I Could Have Imagined!

There are no words, but I'll give it my best shot.  The day started with a fundraising event for the pregnancy center.  Three bands put on a show to raise money for our cause.  It was a wonderful, admiral thing for these guys and gals to do for us.  The event started at 4, Barry's show at 7:30, so I made sure to let them know that I needed to take the stage by 5 to speak, as I didn't want to be rushed getting to Nashville.

They obliged my request and I was able to share my heart with the crowd about what we're about and how our non-profit organization has helped thousands of people in our community and God willing, will continue to do so.  I talked fast and said good-bye to everyone.

Then, Joanne (my nurse manager) and I hit the road.  We blasted the CD player with Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits, sang every song in preparation and made our way down Hwy 65 to the Bridgestone Arena!  After all, Barry was there! 

We ate dinner at Rippy's (probably won't go there again) and made our way across the street to the arena.  We were anxious to find out where we'd be sitting.  I made my way up to will call, presented my name (took a deep breath that they were really there) and waited for her to hand me the envelope with my name on it.

We made our way through the crowd and found our seats.  And they were AMAZING!  The excitement we both felt was beyond words!  Joanne and I were feeling truly blessed.  Scott, you outdid yourself with this one.  I promise the dinner I prepare for you will be mouth watering!

The lights went down, the music began and the curtains opened.  I took a deep breath, my heart was racing.  Then it happened.  He appeared.  Mr. Manilow himself!  I felt my eyes well up, but was determined to not be "one of those people" and contained myself.  He sounded and looked incredible!  I can not believe this man is 69 years old.

The two hour show passed too quickly.  It was disappointing when he said good night.  Throughout the evening, I found myself tearing up, breathing heavy, reminiscing about my childhood, past loves and felt deliriously happy being in the same room with him.  I know that may be silly to you, but not to me.  This experience was one I will never forget.  I want to do it again.

So, until next time, Barry, I will miss you.  Until then, there's always the music.

No comments: