Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Chateau Elan Weekend

Well, I did it.  I just returned home from my weekend with the Chateau Elan - Atlanta.   I knew this trip would be difficult and take a lot of strength to go it alone because this time, I was making the trip without my beloved, best friend of 25 years, Trudy.  This was "our girls' getaway" trip for 9 years straight until she got sick.  Yes, I knew it would be hard, but I am one determined woman.

As soon as I realized the exit was approaching, I was filled with emotion.  When Trudy and I saw Exit 126, we knew we were close and would begin screaming, "CHATEAU ELLLLAAAANNN!  We're here!"

This time was different.  There was no celebratory scream, just silence.   As I took the exit and made a left, I knew within seconds, I would see it.  The beautiful Chateau.  I was quite anxious wondering how I was going to handle this.  I could feel my heart beating out of my chest.  The long, deep breaths helped to calm myself.

Trudy and I created years of amazing memories at the Chateau, not only because it's a spectacularly beautiful place, but because we were together.  And when we were together, it was always an event!  As I pulled up to the hotel, I was immediately taken back to the last time we'd arrived there.  It was surreal.  It was painful.  It was just damn hard.

After checking in, I took the elevator to the 5th floor, where I found "our" room.  As expected, it was beautifully decorated, inviting and perfect.  I had requested two queen beds.  I mean, she is with me after all.  I decided to try and relax, so I scheduled a visit to the spa.  Trudy and I loved hanging out for hours in the Spa, enjoying the sauna, pool and hot tub.  This place is first class.  I booked a massage and waited in a comfortable, over sized chair.  When my name was called, I was surprised to see that my massage therapist was a male.  This was not ok with me.  I politely asked if there was a female available.  A massage is all about relaxing and how can I relax with some guy I've never met touching my body.  No thank you, not for me.  He understood and introduced me to Tracy.  She was amazing.  Her massage was so good I passed out!  She gently awakened me to whisper, "your session is over, Victoria."

She asked about my visit and who I was with.  Was I here with a special someone?  Friends?  I started to cry.  I explained my whole "Trudy" story.  She hugged me and told me how sorry she was.  This would be the first of many times that I would be telling my "Trudy" story.

After I came back to my room, I decided to lay in bed, watch some t.v. and wait for the lounge to open.  I couldn't wait to see Mel, the lounge DJ.  He welcomed Trudy and I every year.  Finally, it was 9pm and I made my way down to the lounge.  I walked up to the stage and found Mel setting up.  He turned around and was excited to see me.  Then, I noticed him looking around.  He'd never seen me there alone before.  He asked where she was.  I started to cry.  He came off the stage and hugged me.  He told me how sorry he was and that she'd want me to have a great time.  He took the mic and dedicated the entire weekend to Trudy.  Everyone cheered.  It was awesome.  I felt Trudy with me and know she was partying right along with everyone.  Then the music began and the night was the most fun I've had in a very long time.

I ended up meeting new friends, including three women on their girls' getaway, who are from Nashville!  We've already made plans to get together again.  Mel brought me up to the stage, as tradition would have it, and I sang, "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt.  Then when it was last call, he brought me back to sing "Last Dance" by Donna Summer.  It was one of the best nights of my life!  I laughed, cried, laughed some more and just had a blast.  Man, I needed it for so many reasons.

The next day, Saturday, I had a great day and met my new friends for dinner.  I enjoyed broiled scallops and they were incredible.  Then off to the lounge for more dance time!  By now, most of my new friends knew about Trudy and went out of their way to make sure I was having a great time. And that, I did!

Once again sweet Mel brought me on stage to sing.  It was awesome.  Trudy loved it when I sang. She was the reason I started singing with Mel in the first place.  It was Trudy who told Mel that I could sing and asked him to surprise me by inviting me to sing with him.  Was that really over 10 years ago?!  Mel told me that Trudy was my biggest fan and he remembered how she went on and on about me and how proud she was that I was her friend.  It was nice of him to tell me that.

After closing the lounge down for the second night in a row, I was invited to go with a group of new friends to the home of a very nice couple who vowed to "keep the party going!"   They live in a very large, beautiful home on the Chateau Elan Property right beside the resort.  I ended up hanging out at their house til 4am!  We talked about God, my life, their lives, Trudy and anything else we felt like talking about.  I had a great conversation with their babysitter, who told me about her decision to remain abstinent til marriage.  She was pleasantly surprised to hear about my work and we had a great conversation about choices.  As they drove me back to the hotel, we made promises to stay in touch.

I woke up this morning anxious to get on the road.  It was time and I was ready to leave.  The weekend had been as perfect as it could be without her, filled with tears, laughter and new experiences, but I jumped out of bed and just felt the need to get out of there.  It was a strange feeling I can't explain.  I'd made plans to meet some of my new friends for breakfast, but ended up meeting them only to say good-bye and begin the drive back to Tennessee.

I'm home now.  The weekend went by fast, just as it always did.  I've committed to making this trip every year on the anniversary of Trudy's death.  To not only honor and celebrate her, but to help me as I continue my road to healing from the loss of my precious friend.  Terry, Trudy's husband, called tonight to let me know he'd visited her grave today.  He said, "I told the Queen that you went to Chateau and what a great time you had.  I know she'd be so happy you went."  I know he's right.

Until next year :)  





2 comments:

Katie Grant said...

I'm sure Trudy was honored by your wonderful visit & your new adopted friends. It sounds like a heartfelt & fun weekend where the people you came in contact with were blessed too. What a wonderful conversation and subject to validate for the babysitter. To next year :)

Victoria said...

Katie!
So great to hear from you. I look forward to seeing you again, my new, dear friend. Please stay in touch!