Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"Rose"

I had an incident today at the center that was quite disturbing. A young mother came in seeking an abortion. She already has three little girls, her husband is headed to Kuwait next month and she says they can't deal with the expense and burden of another child. This woman is 6 months pregnant. I'll call her "Rose".

My faithful assistant came into my office and asked if I would talk to her. I immediately stopped what I was doing and entered the counseling room. There she was. A beautiful, young woman from Guam, who had married her Air Force husband 6 years earlier. She's been here for a little over a year now. She seemed scared and confused. She confessed that she'd already had one abortion in 2007 when she was three months along. I asked her if that had affected her at all. She said yes.

I then explained to her that having an abortion at six months wouldn't compare to the last one she'd had. I felt like I was beginning to get her attention. She asked about the type of abortion that would be performed at six months gestation. I told her the truth. I noticed the blood drain from her face. The whole time I was speaking, I prayed for God to give me the right words. I didn't want her to feel judged or condemned by me, but I had to make sure I did everything I could to try and save the life of this child. So, I kept asking questions. I needed information. She proceeded to tell me that she had a fear that something was wrong with this baby. She said this pregnancy felt different than her others and since she hadn't sought medical care yet, was afraid the baby was "messed up".

I asked her if I could arrange an ultrasound, would she be willing to go and have one? I told her the doctor could reassure her that everything was alright and that I would go with her. She was hesitant at first, but then agreed. I called the doctor's office and found out they would not be in until 1pm. I was a little panicked. That was thirty minutes away! I didn't know if I could "keep" her at the center that long! But, thankfully, she agreed to wait with me. And that's what we did. Thirty minutes later, she followed behind me in her car (I kept checking my rearview mirror to make sure she was still there!) and we proceeded to the doctor's office.

I signed her in and we sat together waiting for her name to be called. Finally, the nurse called her back and my part was over. I felt like I was in a relay race and had passed the baton onto them. I did what I could for that little baby, whose fate is now in the hands of its mother.

Please pray for Rose. Pray for the many Rose's that we see in the center daily and for those who visit other crisis pregnancy centers across the country. It's not just the babies who deserve life, but their mother's deserve to know the truth. These babies are real live human beings who deserve the opportunity to do something with their lives. I'm involved in my work, not just to save babies, but to save their mommies from making the biggest mistake of their life. I should know.

I did my part today. I can feel good about that. Now, all I can do is wait and pray the answer is positive.

Then and only then, will I rejoice knowing that we were able to save one more. And that, my friends, is what keeps getting me up each morning to face another day.

UPDATE: 3/20/08: Spoke with Rose this morning. She and her husband have decided that if the baby is a girl, they will place her up for adoption (they find out on Tuesday). If it's a boy, they will keep him. But, she's definitely not going through with an abortion!! Praise God!

5 comments:

St. of Words said...

i love what you do mommy. thanks for keeping me :)

Anonymous said...

If you save one, you've achieved more than 99% of the able-bodied population! you are one of the blessed gifts to the world, Vik.

The Pilot's Wife said...

I will adopt that baby
Me

"To Be Strong". said...

Oh Vik, praise God you were able to get through to this woman. The work you do is so important. I am so proud to call you my friend. And, I know that you give all the glory to God for the decision that this woman made for life.

I love you! Val

Anonymous said...

Wow! Victoria, you really were born to protect these beautiful creations of God! It is a blessing to know you. I'm praying that the Lord will bless them with a son. I just praise the Lord that he sent "Rose" to a loving, compassionate, "I won't take No for an answer", woman like you.

Can't remember my username and password. Duh!

I love you girl,
Julie