Sunday, March 2, 2008

HOT Yoga!

I had the pleasure of spending this past weekend with my daughters and their husbands in Nashville. Besides the highlight of being with my family, Teryn asked me to go with her to a 90 minute (yes, that would be an hour and a half!) "Hot Yoga" Class. She's been religiously going for weeks now and has fallen in love with it! I would go so far as to say she's become somewhat addicted! She looks incredible and is enjoying the many benefits that it has to offer. Now, some people may think of yoga as a form of "new age" exercise and that it would be a sin to participate! Well, as Granny would say, "That's just ree-dick-u-lous!"

I knew that it would mean a lot to her, so I agreed to go. Ah, the sacrifices we make for our children! Anyway, she loaned me a pair of yoga pants, a workout "bra", a tank top and a towel. We filled up our water bottles and we were on our way! (Note to self: Just one water bottle? Please.)

When we arrived, Teryn introduced me to the owner of the gym. She smiled at me and said, "Have you ever done Hot Yoga before?" "Nope." Then she said, "Wait, you've NEVER done Hot Yoga!?" I shook my head. Didn't she hear me the first time? Jeez. She turned to Teryn once more, "Does she have any idea?" Teryn shook her head. Well, that was encouraging.

In the lobby, Teryn told me that once we entered the classroom, there was no talking. Some Hot Yoga Law, I suppose. It wasn't until she made sure I understood that we proceeded towards the classroom. As Teryn put her hand on the door, she looked at me once again and whispered, "Mommy, remember, do not speak". That girl knows me all too well.

The room was packed. We found two places on the floor and set up our mats. Teryn motioned for me to lie on my back and experience "scholtzy", (this apparently means "keep your mouth shut, close your eyes and relax" in yoga talk). This went on for several minutes.

The instructor walked in. It was time to start. When she opened her mouth, I almost laughed out loud at the sound of her voice. She sounded like a chipmunk! I'm not kidding. (I found out later from Teryn that this instructor is actually attending voice lessons to improve her high pitched voice.)

She proceeded to give instructions and I held my own pretty well. I can tell you this. They don't call it Hot Yoga for nothing! The room is kept at 130 degrees. On purpose. With a packed out room, it was more like 150 degrees. I'm talking, "hell" hot!

But, I admit it. I kinda liked it. A lot. Our bodies are amazing. We underestimate the power that they hold. I was very proud of my 43 year old bad self! I kept up with everyone and even finished without one curse word leaving my mouth! Remember, there was NO talking! It was a great feeling and I felt exhilarated with the whole experience. Being with my daughter made it even better. I think Teryn was really proud of me.

At one point during class, while we were in "scholtzy" position, Teryn reached over, touched my arm and softly said, "Mommy, I love you and thanks for coming with me."

That alone was worth putting up with the chipmunk, sweating like a pig and suffering through the unquenching thirst I endured for 90 minutes.

And, frankly, I can't wait to do it again. But only if Teryn's right beside me.

2 comments:

The Chapins said...

Thanks mommy! : ) i was extremely proud of you! oh and it's "savasana" by the way...but you can call it "scholtzkis" that will be our inside joke!! thank you a million for coming with me. i loved doing it with you right beside me. it was so bloody hot in there. too many people were allowed in! i went today and it was half the size and my heat tolerance was much better. i'm glad you came this weekend. please move here. i need you. i love you.

The Pilot's Wife said...

Hot Yoga=Hot Mama!
Love Me