Friday, March 7, 2014

We're BAAAAACCCCCKKK!

With the amazing success of the first season of "Preacher's Daughters", Season 2 is now upon us!  From the responses from the fans and the increase in our viewership, it looks like Season 2 promises to be as much or more successful than Season 1!  First, let me say on behalf of my family, that we are so appreciative of the love and support you've shown us.  We read all of your messages and are so encouraged by how our family is ministering to you!

Episode 1, Season 2, was off the hook! You were introduced to two new families, The Elliott's and The Cassidy's.  We met these families a couple of months ago, while in NYC shooting promotional ads.  Our families enjoyed spending time and getting to know each other.

I must admit, although my daughter's and I have had our share of drama over the years, I'm grateful that our issues haven't dealt with alcoholism or drugs.  My heart breaks for the girls and their families, who've been robbed of precious time because of these addictions.  Let's keep all the families in our prayers, as this show is about restoration and reconciliation, not "Church Girls Gone Wild"!  It may appear a little crazy right now, but it's important to see where these girls started and even more so, where they finish.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised throughout the season to find that they aren't who you may think they are.  As I've had the privilege to get to know them, I assure you these are God loving families, who love each other very much.  They are very like-able and really nice people.

Our family has been inundated with messages from the great fans of PD requesting more air time for The Koloff's, with so many of you even asking for a Koloff Show, which is very sweet!  We want you to know that we are humbled by your remarks, but, understand, we have nothing to do with the editing or content of the show, besides what we participated in during filming.   Keep in mind that the
producers are introducing you to two new families, so I'm not surprised they're taking extra air time to make that happen.  Unless they cut out all of the Koloff Family footage, we will be on the show throughout Season 2, so no worries!

On with the re-cap.  This episode focused around Kolby's decision to attend college after high school or give a year to ministry, as well as, asking for financial help from her father to help us buy her a car.

First, let's talk about the car situation.  When Kolby asked her father to help us purchase a car, Nikita informed her that he would only do this if she read the entire Bible and then wrote an essay on each book.  This would have taken her months and consumed her entire summer! Don't hear what I'm NOT saying.  Reading through the Bible is what ALL Christians should aspire to do, but using the Bible as a negotiating tool is manipulative to say the least.  It's nothing short of bribery and how is that biblical?  When Kolby told me this, I was pissed.  I felt it wasn't fair and I became incredibly
angry about it.  This became a huge point of contention between Nikita and I.  We had many arguments and disagreements over this for months.  You didn't see that on camera.  I completely, 100% disagree with him on this.  I'm not saying we should hand our kids keys to brand new cars either, but I see NOTHING wrong with helping our children financially when we're in a position to do so.  That doesn't mean giving them anything they want, without their earning it.  Kolby is a great kid.  She's an Honor Student, responsible and trustworthy.  But, Nikita made it very clear.  If you want my financial help, I'll only give you $2000 after you've met my requirements. After Kolby told me of her father's offer, I told her to let him know she and I would figure it out on our own.  And, that's exactly what we did.  Long story short, Kolby and I put our funds together and bought her a car. Granted, it's an older model, with miles on it, but we did it! Kolby is responsible for the gas and insurance. For the record, Kolby reads the Bible because she wants to, not because she's forced to.

Then, there was the issue of college.  In my opinion, this decision is Kolby's, not mine, nor her Dad's.  Kolby's future is between her and God.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't give her guidance or help her along the way, but the ultimate decision is hers.  Nikita's rule has always been if the girls' want
financial help from him to attend college, they must give a year of ministry post high school.  And, trust me on this.  He's not kidding.

Here's why this is such wrong thinking to mAs Christians, I believe we are all called to be ministers of the Gospel.  But, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be from a pulpit, living on the mission field in another country or pastoring a church.  And I absolutely don't believe you can or should force ministry on anyone.  If Kolby or any of my daughters aren't called by God, (not Nikita), into pastoral or missions ministry, it doesn't matter how long they serve in that capacity, they won't stay.  And even if they did, they'd be miserable.  I know many people who, out of guilt, went into ministry when they weren't called to that type of ministry, only to be left unfulfilled.

Whatever Kolby decides, I will support her in any way I can.  I know God has a call on all of our lives.  But, I leave it up to Him to show us.

God has a call on yours too.  Maybe your mission field is your workplace?  Maybe it's in your neighborhood?  Maybe it's living in another country building homes for the poor?  Whatever it is, He will show you.  Just ask Him:)

Be sure to check out our new website www.TheKoloffs.com and see some of the shirts the girls and I designed! We hope you like them!

And be sure you're following us on twitter @thekoloffs, @victoriakoloff, @kolbykoloff, @terynchapin, @tawnikoloff and @kendrakoloff

See you next week!  There's plenty more coming!  Tune in Wednesday 9/8c on Lifetime

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Victoria, I came to watch the show because I am raising two preacher's daughters (as well as two preacher's sons) and was curious. Out of all the families and teens I found your family and girls to be the most grounded, yet real. I feel as though I have some perspective, I was a youth paper pastor for the last 15 years.
Although I disagree with you in regards to your thoughts on the call and ministry, etc. I appreciate the direct yet loving way you guide your kids. Thank you for making your journey open, I hope it encourages and challenges others like it does me.