Saturday, March 22, 2014

Season 2 - Episode 3

Whew! This episode was intense for our family. We've had many discussions about church, how much should we go, where should we go, etc. etc.  And, I won't apologize for the fact that I absolutely want to see my daughters, their husbands, my granddaughter and future grandchildren in church. I believe in church. I believe in fellowshipping with other believers. But let me add, just because you attend a church building week after week doesn't make you a Christian. I've met people who practically live at church, but are some of the most evil, wicked people I've ever met.  So, don't hear what I'm not saying.  Going to church doesn't save you, make you a saint or even a good person.  Having Jesus Christ in your life is what changes you from the inside out, not being a church attender. But, I still believe that church is an important part of growing in our walk with The Lord.

I admit, I've met as many sinners out of the church as I have inside it. There's just something special and beautiful about going to church as a family.  And, let's not forget. The bible is specific about assembling together with other believers.  You can read about this in Hebrews 10:25.

On with my re-cap. The night before, which was a Saturday, Salem spent the night with us, so Chad and Teryn could have a date night.  Kolby and I had already decided we would skip church the next day and take Salem to the Nashville Zoo.  We were all very excited about this!  We had no intentions of taking her or even going to church.  But, when we woke up Sunday morning, it was pouring rain outside, so we knew the zoo was out. We didn't see the point in skipping church and sitting at home, which is why we decided to go to church. (For the record, I tried calling Teryn to tell her that our plans had changed, but she wasn't available.)

Not for one second did we think Teryn or Chad would mind if we took Salem to church because we know they trust us 100%. We weren't trying to do something behind their back either. It wasn't like that, although I can understand why that crossed their minds since we'd just had a conversation a few
days earlier with Teryn about whether Salem should be attending Kids Church.

Let me make something perfectly clear. This wasn't the first time in Salem's life she'd attended church. We've been to church many times as a family and I've taken her alone before. I would never take a milestone moment away from her parent's. However, it was the first time she'd attended this particular church.

Teryn and Chad are Christians and they both love The Lord very much. Because they grew up in similar, strict Christian homes, that demanded and expected you in church anytime the doors were open, they don't make decisions like this lightly.  I may not always agree with their parenting styles, but, nonetheless, it is still their decision, not mine.

Looking back, knowing how they felt about all of this, I can understand why they would be upset with us. We shouldn't have taken her without their permission. Salem is their daughter, not mine.  This wasn't about her being in church, it was about us not asking them. And I understand completely.

I learned a lesson the hard way, and it won't happen again.  I trust them as Salem's parents. They are doing an amazing job. She's an awesome little girl and I'm so proud to be her Mimi.  Teryn and Chad are teaching me a few things themselves. I admire how they stand up for what they believe to be the best thing for their family. I'm just praying that means going to church with us!  At least once in a while.

Keep watching to see how this unfolds!

Be sure to check out our brand new website, www.TheKoloffs.com!

Tune in Wednesdays on Lifetime at 9/8c for another episode of "Preachers Daughters"!

No comments: