Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Recap of Episode 3

I loved tonight's episode, even better than last week.  I can't help but wonder if those Christians attacking our show have even seen it?  Yes, I'm the first to admit that the promos may have been a little risque' and the first episode scared me to death, but each week, I believe the producers are showing the love that each family feels for one another and for our Lord Jesus Christ, whom we serve.  I'm still trying to figure out how we're trashing our faith or Jesus.  I've quickly grown tired of some of the nasty comments made about us, especially the girls.  They don't deserve them.  So, I've made a promise to myself that I'm not reading them.  You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, however, we're equally entitled not to read them.  Maybe it's good therapy for you to be so cruel, but we've decided to believe who God says we are, not who you think we are.  Ok, on with the re-cap! 

The Coleman Family: So proud of Taylor and the decisions she's making.  She's definitely toning it down a bit and felt conviction for lying to her parents. Conviction is our friend!  She was offered some great advice by her friends and sister too!  Taylor's a wonderful young lady, she has a great family and I know this girl loves God.  I love that Marie keeps the peace in the Coleman Family.  She's an awesome mom and wife!  And Papa Coleman? He's too much!  His double date idea rocks!  You know I loved it!  Maybe I need to send him a copy of my contract too?  I see Ken chilling out a little and that's a good thing.  He's a great dad who adores his family and his one liners should be on a t-shirt!

The Perry Family:  I am so impressed with Mark and Cheryl's gentle spirit.  I need to take lessons from them!  Watching how they interact with Olivia helps me realize I need to work on toning down my delivery a bit (I just heard all my critics scream Hallelujah!).  I feel for Olivia and what she's dealing with.  It's not easy being a young, single mother.  I remember those days well when I was a 21 year old single mom raising a 3 year old toddler and an 8 month old baby all by myself, without any help from their biological father.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I commend single mothers everywhere.  They have the toughest job on the planet.  Both Olivia and Eden are so blessed to have the support of their family around them.  That makes all the difference.  I'm sure that Olivia never grew up thinking she'd be a teen mom, but she's handling her responsibility more maturely than some adults I know.  I definitely don't want to see Olivia hanging around with her old party friends though.  That's not a good idea on any level.  Unless we can walk on water and raise people from the dead, we need to be mindful of the fact that any of us can fall back into sin.  So, Olivia, wish him well, but if he's still partying, walk away!

And of course, The Koloffs:  I enjoyed this episode.   I love to watch how my girls communicate, respect and love one another.  Sure, they have their differences once in a while, but there's one thing you can count on.  If you decide to mess with their parents, their sisters or their family, they'll come out fighting.  My girls love hard just like I do.  I was glad to hear Teryn's clarification to Kolby regarding her views about pre-marital sex.  Kolby needs support, as we all do, from her family.  But, she also needs to know that we are going to love her through anything she does, good or bad.  I think Teryn helped alot with her confusion.   My heart broke for Micah and Kolby tonight, for different reasons.  I applaud Kolby for wanting to be sure that nothing comes between her relationship with the Lord.  It took a lot of courage for her to have that conversation with Micah.  I was equally proud of Micah.  He handled it well, even though it was obvious he was hurting.  Try not to worry too much about them.  They are great kids and it'll work out as it should.  I'm rooting for both of them, no matter what the outcome.

Watching ourselves on television is wild.  This whole experience has been quite surreal.  Mark Perry said something  that I found to be quite accurate recently.  He said,  "If the Christian 'critics' would watch Preachers Daughters, they would see 3 families trying to help their kids walk with God and be pure!"  How can that be bad?  I love that statement because that's exactly why we signed up to do this show.  It wasn't to get rich (trust me, we didn't get paid near enough for what we've had to endure!), famous or more importantly to bash Christianity.  It most definitely wasn't to diminish who Jesus is!  Give me a break!

After the first episode, I've admitted, I was very nervous.  But, each week, as more of our love for Jesus is displayed, I'm becoming more and more proud to be part of this little show on Lifetime.  Our faith is in God.  With all due respect to our producers at ThinkFactory Media and the Lifetime network, our faith is in Him alone.  So, whatever comes, good or bad (and it has), we rest assured that He has our family's back.

It's so sad that there are those of you who don't recognize how you're being used by Satan to spew the vile, cruel and wicked things that come out of your mouth about me, my family, the other families or the show.  If you're so sure we need to be punished, why not trust God to deal with us?   "Vengeance is mine, says the Lord."  I'd like to ask you "Who died and made you God?"  (You know who you are and I even know who some of you are.)  The cruel things people say about others speak much more about that person than the one they're trying to tear down.

To those of you who think this show isn't helping others?  Tell that to the girl who emailed me asking for help because she had an abortion 6 years ago?  Or the single mom who's struggling with raising a teenager?  Or how about the teenagers who've said Kolby is causing them to re-think choices they've made in the past?  Or the many who've said this show makes them want to go to church?  God is moving, people.  His message is the same yesterday, today and forever, but methods are changing.  TV is just one of them.

So, to our enemies, let me say on behalf of my family, God bless you.  We're praying for you.  How about praying for us too?  Wow, what a concept.


Preachers Daughters airs every Tuesday night at 10/9c on Lifetime. 

2 comments:

Mark Perry said...

Victoria,

Not only was this the best episode so far, but this is your best recap as well. Really, really good job, friend! Keep articulating God's heart, whether everyone recognizes it or not! "Wisdom is vindicated by her actions." The words of Jesus. I agree.

Love and blessings, Mark Perry
Fellow cast member, Preachers Daughters

Unknown said...

Victoria,

I taped all the episodes so far and watched them this week. I too was nervous after the first episode that the producers would have a field day showing Christians in a bad light. But I have come to see 3 Christian families dealing with teenage issues with Christian principles and unconditional love. And I love the differences in the 3 families. Thank you all for sharing your stories and struggles. I hope you will continue to post in your blog how God is working through this show in positive ways in other families. May God be gloried and lives be affected for his Kingdom.

Barb Sloan (Joanne Coogan's sister)