Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom

I love my mother. I haven't always understood her, but I love her. I've tried my best to honor her throughout my life. Even when I didn't want to. My mother and I have a distant relationship. I don't understand it, never have and probably never will. I just know that it's different. I am the oldest of four. Her relationships with my brother and two sisters has always been different than ours. I don't know why that is. It just is.

As a young girl, I thought my mother was one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen. I remember standing by and watching her putting on lipstick or brushing her hair. I was in awe of how she could take a piece of bologna and make an entire meal out of it. And, you'd never believe her mac and cheese came from a box!

We didn't have much materially growing up, but my mother made sure we had what we needed. When I was 10, I begged her for a pair of YoYo shoes that I knew we couldn't afford (everyone had them!). I cried for two weeks and screamed at her daily that everyone had a pair except me! I told her she was ruining my life and that I wish I was in someone else's family! I saw the pain in her face, but I was a selfish kid and I didn't care. All I knew was I wanted those YoYos at any cost. I don't know how or even why she did it, but my mother surprised me and bought them for me. Looking back, she made lots of sacrifices for us kids. Some we knew about, many more we didn't. She may not have been the perfect mom, but she was mine. It's tragic that we don't appreciate our moms until we're older or mother's ourselves.

Funny, I don't remember what I ever did with those YoYos, but I'll never forget what my mom did for me. Thanks Mom. I know you live with regrets, but you didn't do too bad after all.

Happy Birthday. I love you.

3 comments:

The Pilot's Wife said...

I remember you ALWAYS had cheetos and hardee's cheesburgers when we had to eat rice and beans, you always got your way, still do.Brat! ha ha -I think mom did great she had me didnt she and I turned out the best. ha ha
love b

Anonymous said...

I love you too vicky and AM GLAD I MADE YOU HAPPY WITH YOURE JOJO SHOES. YEA WE HAVE A DISTAN RELATIONSHIP I CALL AND CALL AND NO VICKY 'WELL MOM IS LONG DISTAN I LOVE YOU FOR SAYING AM BEAUTIFUL YOU KNOW WERE YOU GOT YOURE LOOKS AND HOW BEATUFUL YOU ARE INSIDE AND OUT. I AM SO PROUD FOR HAVING 4 WONDERFUL CHILDRENS I THANK

Anonymous said...

GOD for my 4 children Ilove you mom