Thursday, January 10, 2008

"But by the grace of God, there goes me"

Being a part of the work that I do, running a crisis center, you can just imagine what we encounter everyday. I meet women daily who are either faced with crisis pregnancies, considering abortion, have low self-esteem or feel hopeless about their futures. Many times, they don't know where the money's going to come from to feed their children, clothe them or how to pay their rent or light bill. We are able to meet many of their material needs, but more importantly, their spiritual ones.

Twice a month, one of the services we offer are parenting classes. We bring in speakers to motivate, teach or share a personal testimony with the girls. Today was my turn. These women come from all walks of life and have faced many hardships throughout. I was able to share with them some of my own trials and how God has brought me through each and every situation I've faced with courage and determination.

Some of these women have been abused in many ways; sexually, physically, emotionally and even spiritually. In a few of their faces, I recognized fear, hopelessness and heartache. When I began to speak to them about the church, I sensed sarcasm among the group. It didn't take long to realize that their opinions of the church are low, due to the way they have been treated or rejected by so called "Christians". I was able to explain to these girls that we have to be careful not to judge God by what man imitates Him to be.

I've met many "Christians" who resemble the same people that deny God exists. Sir Francis of Assisi said, "At all times preach the gospel and when necessary, use words". I LOVE that.

Please don't hear what I'm not saying. I am not a religious person. I would go so far to say that I hate religion, but I enjoy my relationship with God very much. And trust me, there's a difference.

I am humbled, honored and privileged that God allows me to meet the people I meet everyday in my office. And when class was over, there were many tears in the room, including my own. Yes, I'm blessed. Even on my worst day.

2 comments:

The Pilot's Wife said...

Preach it sista! It sounds like there is never a dull moment in your line of work. It;s amazing how God places us exactly where we need to be, using our gifts that he has given us.Keep up the great work.

The Chapins said...

I love you Mommy. keep up your blogging!! : )
Love
tt