Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Mommy"


Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be a mother. I wanted a house full of boys! I had this idea that if I only had sons, I would be deliriously happy with all the attention they would give me. Boys do love their mommys. Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about them getting into my stuff! My makeup, shoes and clothes would be safe. Yes, I would have sons. The daughters would come later when I inherited them through marriage. That was my plan.

Now, years later, my desire to be a mother has been fulfilled. I am the proud mother of four, all of them boys..........well, except for four!

After my first daughter was born, from the moment I saw her, I knew my life was never going to be the same. And it hasn't been. I was so happy that I cried everytime I looked at her. I couldn't believe what my body had done! To describe what it means to be a mother, well, you can't really.

Two years later, when I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter, I was terrified. Not of the pregnancy or delivery, but I couldn't imagine ever loving another child like my first. I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to give her what she needed because of the deep love I had for her sister. But, the moment I saw my second daughter, I knew that I was wrong. I couldn't believe how blessed I was. Not only did I have one perfect baby girl, I now had two. Ten years later, again I realized I had more love to give when my third daughter was born. I was sure that this was it. I was done. Three was plenty. But, once again, fortunately for me and my family, three years later I gave birth to my fourth and last daughter with just as much love to give her as I felt for her sisters.

I may have convinced myself at a young age that having sons would make my life happier, easier and more content, but I'm so glad that God had other plans. His ways really are better than our own. I couldn't imagine my life without any one of my girls.

We do have our challenges sometimes. There are, at times (ok lots of times!) drama, but it always seems to work out. They're my girls and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Now, almost 26 years later, I am still amazed that I get to be their mother. My girls are literally four of the best things I've ever accomplished in my life. No, they're not perfect, but they're mine. I look at each of them (usually when they're not looking) and I stand amazed at the part that I was priviledged to play in bringing them into the world. I love the fact that at 25, 22, 15 and 11, my girls still refer to me as "Mommy" despite the funny looks they may get!

I've made more mistakes as their mother than I care to count. But, I am so thankful that in spite of me, they've turned out pretty darn good. If I do say so myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you and your comments mommy!! (u forgot 2 add how much u LOVE me) but thats ok. there's so much love 4 me i know u dont want 2 make teryn,tawni,and kendra jealous!!!!! i love you mommy and i couldn't of asked for a better mom!!!!

The Chapins said...

kolby is funny : ) i LOVE that baby. mommy, you make me proud. thanks for answering the phone when i keep calling over and over because i can't get ahold of you. thanks for always listening. and thanks for not having boys. i don't think you would make a good mother in law to their wives : ) and most importantly...thanks for loving me like you do. your strength has brought me through more than you know. i'm proud that you are my mommy. forever and always. see...isn't G-mommy a cool name for you when you become a grandma?!?!?!

St. of Words said...

Wow....that's really.
You do make me proud. I love our family, I love that you didn't have boys...I would have been so pissed! We were all meant to be the 5 of us ladies, and you've done a great job. You made sacrifices like Mammaw did so we could have what we needed. It was just "in" you to be like that. You've done an incredible job. I will never stop calling you Mommy ever, nothing else feels more right than to call you that.

Thanks for being a friend and a lover and a confidante, and a fighter and a homemaker, a care taker and a mommy.

I Love You