Monday, December 17, 2012

My Daughter's First

My 16 year old daughter found out yesterday that one of her close friends was killed in a car accident.  To say she is totally inconsolable is an understatement.  He was only 16 years old.  A star football quarterback, wrestler, very well liked and such a good friend to her.

How do you comfort your teenager when they can't comprehend that this person is gone forever?  It's quite difficult.  So, I just listen.  I listen to her tell me their stories, I look at their pictures, hold and comfort her and reassure her that I'm here when she needs me.

I give her the space she asks for.  I don't take it personal when she says, "I want to be alone" or "please don't hug me right now."  She's hurting.  I'm hurting for her. 

Life is so fragile.  My 16 year old is experiencing a close death for the first time in her young life.  I don't have the heart to tell her that as the years go by, she'll have to face this again and again.  For now, I'm just going to love her through it.

RIP Grayson Weeks and thank you for being a good friend to my daughter.

No comments: