Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Big Mouth

I really don't mean to piss people off.  It is not something I set out to do, although some people in my life would probably disagree.  Now, unless you're one of my ex-husbands (of which I have 2 that deserve it), you're wrong.

Yes, I have strong opinions, a big mouth, I'm bold and I have a strong faith.  With that kind of combination, you're bound to piss someone off once in a while.  I get it.  I own the fact that I piss people off, but they piss me off too!  Sometimes, the ignorant things they say piss me off.  Sometimes, the way someone acts will piss me off.  And although I try my best to value each person's right to believe whatever they want to, at times, the more radical and tolerant their beliefs become piss me off too. That doesn't mean I "disown" them.  I have friends and family that don't feel the same as I do on certain issues.  I still love them, we just agree to disagree and drop it.  I don't have to agree with what you say and vice versa.  But, I still have the right to believe you're wrong.

Is my faith stronger than a friendship?  The answer is yes.  If you had a friend or relative that was narcissistic, pressuring you into drinking (when you're sober), setting you up with someone (when you're married), making fun of you all the time, etc. etc., do you wish that person well, love them in spite of it, but move on?  Some people I can spend 1 week with, others a day.  Still, there are some, an hour of my time is plenty.

I love Jesus.  I love His Father too and the Holy Spirit's been really good to me.  But, being a professing Christian in no way means I'm perfect or flawless.  Trust me (or just ask my daughters!).  I'm FAR from anywhere close to the Christian I should be.  I think I relate better with David than any other character in the Bible.  Here's a guy who was after God's heart, yet he was a constant sinner, a murdererer, a liar, and even an adulterer!  Yet, David truly loved God.

There are some people who like to question my Christianity because I dare to question their belief system or where it came from.  They love to quote scripture, "thou shalt not judge."  Yes, you're absolutely right!  That's God's job and He'll perform it to perfection one day for each of us after we draw our last breath.  It's funny that those people who LOVE to quote Scripture only believe the parts of the Bible that are convenient for them at the time.

But, Jesus NEVER said to tolerate sin.  NEVER.  Yes, He said, "love thy neighbor", He said, "love one another as I have loved you".  But, He NEVER said "thou shalt tolerate each other's sins, accept them and let's everybody just get along!"  I don't know what Bible you're reading, if any, but He NEVER said that.  You won't find it in there.

We live in a world today that becomes more tolerant of sin every day.  We have become desensitized to sin that happens right in front of our eyes.  Everywhere you look, even Christians, are settling and becoming more and more complacent to what's going on around us for fear of "offending" someone.  Some are trying to do something about it, while others do nothing.  Show me in Scripture where Jesus calls us to be popular or go along with the crowd for the sake of being uncomfortable.  Show me.


So, if I piss you off, I don't mean to, I really don't! And I thank you in advance for loving me anyway, as I will do my best to love you.

But, I've got a big mouth.  And I can't keep it shut.


1 comment:

RickyL said...

Amen to that! I know exactly what you are saying! I have been experiencing some very hateful people lately. I am very opinionated, everyone really is, and thats ok, but to go as far as to hate someone, or to even harm them because you disagree or dont care for them is crossing a very bad line. So I must say girlfriend I completely agree with you Big Mouth article!