Monday, March 1, 2010

*&$% Happens!

What a great, fun day at Disneyland with Kendra, Kolby, lots of friends and Kendra's cheer squad! We had a blast all day. We rode every ride, saw an Elvis Show and laughed our heads off together.

Kolby had a riding buddy and was having the time of her life. This was the first time since she was 6 that she's been to Disney, so it would be the first time she'd remember it all. I was so thrilled to see Kolby having such a great time! She even danced on the streets during the parade, as one of the dancers picked her out of the crowd to be his partner!

But, then tragedy hit. During the last ride of the night on Splash Mountain, Kolby lost $51 bucks of her own money (it must have fallen out of her pocket) and the battery to her brand new Canon digital camera. She was crushed. She tried her best not to cry, but not hard enough. I held her and tried my best to comfort her, but she was not buying it. Here she'd had this great day at Disney, only for it to be ruined in the last hour! She said, "Disney HATES me!!!"

So, I decided to try and use it as a lesson. I said, "Kolby, let's look at it this way. Let's imagine a family spending the day at Disney, who shouldn't have even been there because they couldn't afford it, were praying all day for God to help them somehow. Maybe they didn't even know how they were going to feed their kids dinner. They kept smiling because they didn't want their kids to know how worried they were." I went on. "Just imagine, what if they were praying and asking God to help them find a way to either eat or buy a small souvenir to remember the day, but had NO money to do it. They knew they shouldn't have been at Disney, but they were tired of telling their kids no, we can't afford this or that and decided to just do it. Think about that! What if that were true? Just think about how God used you to bless them. Sometimes we have to sacrifice for others to be blessed. Try to think about your money being in the hands of someone who really needed it, found it and cried knowing God heard their prayer."

She looked at me in tears and said, "OK, Mommy. I can see that, but what about my camera battery? Was someone praying for a specific Canon Digital Camera Battery?! What about that?" I looked at my baby and said, "Don't have a good explanation for that one, baby, but all I can say, Kolb, is *&$% happens."

We both laughed so hard and then all was good.

1 comment:

The Chapins said...

This made me laugh SO much! Because once upon a time, I remember you telling me a similar story when I was younger and saying that too:) never forgot it!;)