Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Motherhood is a Love/Hate Relationship


Here's a revelation for some of you. I fight with my daughter's. All of them. I'm a mother to four very independent minded, opinionated, sassy, think for themselves, stubborn, beautiful daughters. Some more than the other one, but still the truth all the same. They are each unbelievably different, yet share some of the same qualities. And sometimes, frankly, we just don't like eachother.

One of the mistakes that I think many mom's make these days is trying to be friend's with their kids. I've tried, sometimes unsuccessfully to keep this at bay. My parenting skills have not always made me popular with my girls, but I've made decisions based on what I thought was best. Sometimes I was right on, and sometimes I just wasn't.

So, I'm guilty of a lot of things and I'm sure each of my four girls could produce a healthy list! So, I decided to make one of my own. A list of things that no one, not even the girls, can argue.

1. I've loved them with all my heart since the day they were born.
2. My love is unconditional (whether they believe that or not!).
3. I'm incredibly proud of each one.
4. Sometimes I don't like them, but always I love them.
5. They are four of the best things I've ever accomplished in my life.
6. I will forever be their mother, even after I'm gone.
7. They are stubborn, but overall, they are very good people.
8. They fight with eachother, but if you hurt one of them, they will defend to the death.
9. They say and do stupid things.
10. I will continue to forgive them for hurting me with their words or actions and lastly,

Without hesitation, I would die for any one of them.

2 comments:

Lynse Leanne said...

One of my favourite things about hanging out with your family back in the day was the love that you all had for eachother. You were actually close and liked eachother...most days. ;) i was jealous of the love you had for them and them for you. it was healthy, refreshing and a good example for me to see in my broken family life.

Victoria said...

Thanks for saying that. It means a lot.