Friday, August 7, 2009

Sometimes Even Sisters Need to Keep Secrets

I just found out about something today that literally made me gasp. Literally. Some of you may or may not know that my sister suffered a miscarriage last February. Well, she did. It was very hard on her. That made it hard on me.

I know that many of you enjoy reading my sister's blog (its a pilots life for me) so, you may be aware that she is now four months pregnant. This morning as we were talking about morning sickness, weight gain, gas and all the pleasures of pregnancy, I had a revelation.

I reminded my sister of her miscarriage last year (she remembered) and told her that I believed this pregnancy, this new life growing inside of her, was God's blessing to her for all she'd been through. She stopped me. She said, "Have you read my latest blog?" I said, "No." She said, "I didn't think so. You need to read it. I'm sure you'll be calling me back as soon as you do."

Now, I was intrigued. I couldn't wait to get to my computer. I turned it on and immediately went to her blog. I read it. After the first two sentences, before even finishing it, I sat at my desk and gasped. I don't know why she didn't tell me, not completely, but I understood. I wasn't upset or offended in any way because even though we may be sisters, we are still women. And sometimes as women we need to experience pain in our own way. I respect that. She was right. I had to call her right away.

And after I took a deep breath and regained my composure, that's exactly what I did.

1 comment:

The Pilot's Wife said...

I am so glad that Regan will have a sister now, to share life experiences with, grow together, and know that sister's are forever:) thanks for understanding, but it does feel good to finally have the courage to be honest about it, and know that you would understand not only as my sister but as a woman. I love you,
Me