Wednesday, January 11, 2017

I love it. I hate it. Social Media.

I have a "love-hate" relationship with Social Media.  I feel the same way about all the technology we've come to know over the last 10+ years.

Someone once said,
 "I fear for the day that technology will surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots."


My fear is that day has arrived or it's just around the corner.  I'm not here to bash an outlet of communicating with the masses because that would be stupid, being I use it daily myself.  But, this doesn't mean I can't or don't recognize the dangers of it.

It's absolutely astonishing to me how people put everything and anything "out there" for all the world to read, hear or see.  And, I mean everything.  

Because of my platform on radio, television and the non-profit world, I have over 5000 "friends" and over 2000 followers on my Facebook Page; over 20,000 followers on Instragram; and over 12,000 on Twitter.   Of course, I don't personally know 98% of these people, but they're my "friends" nonetheless.  I lose and gain followers daily.  Mostly I lose them after making a controversial statement or have an opinion someone finds opposite of their own.  I'm OK with and respect that.

It's humbling anyone cares what I have to say anyway, nor do I take that lightly.   At times, I've even heard from them through a comment or an email from something I say or post.  Trust me.  My friends and followers have no problem thanking, praising my opinion or even voicing their disdain when they feel it necessary to do so! I don't expect everyone to agree with me either, nor do I always agree with my own friends on social media. Opinions on politics, social issues, etc. cause stirred, passionate emotions.  I get it.  

But, it's astonishing to me when, on any given day, you can read a post on social media bashing parents, siblings, cousins, friends or even spouses.  You'll read about specifics of someone cheating, not paying child support, a fight that just happened, a cursing rage towards someone, etc. etc. Many of these posts are shocking and my mouth has dropped several times in disbelief from the shear lack of class, decency or empathy for others.  Does anyone keep things private anymore?  Nope.  After the shock wears off, I find myself feeling pity for the one posting.  Don't they realize the post says much more about themselves than the person they're trying to vilify?  Come on, posting about poor customer service is one thing, but posting by name about a person in your life, is something else altogether.

And, what about the selfies?  Personally, I find myself dreading taking the required profile or promotional selfie, so I've never been able to understand those who are so comfortable posting so many.  So, to clarify, I'm not speaking of the required "selfie" for those reasons, I'm talking about the continual influx of the "selfie" on a daily basis.  I see many negative, nasty comments towards those who post selfies up on a daily basis.  I get it, I have some of the same thoughts.  I just don't write them.  

But, I'm going to ask you to shift your paradigm for a moment on this subject.  Try considering a different view pertaining to the "selfie craze".  Don't get me wrong.  They annoy me as well.  I know how you feel, I used to feel the same way, but what I found out is most of these young people are in need of more compassion than criticism.   

Many, if not the majority, of these young people posting daily selfies are just dying to be noticed. They're screaming "Look at me!", "Tell me I'm beautiful!", "Please like my picture!"  This makes me sad.  They're somehow convinced their worth is measured by how many "likes" or comments they receive.  To me, this is incredibly heartbreaking and tragic.  We have a generation of young people who truly believe my "like" or comment dictates who she/he is as a person or determines their value. These people break my heart.  If they'd spend just a fraction of the time on themselves and building their self esteem, maybe they wouldn't need those endless clicks to get the "perfect selfie". Sometimes they hide behind "do you like this lipstick? my new hair? does this outfit look ok"?, etc. etc., just to get the desperate click of a button from a friend, or even sometimes, a stranger.  It doesn't seem to matter who or where the attention comes from, as long as it comes.  This is the society we live in today.  The society we've created?

In the next 5-10 years, I am of the belief we will see more ramifications from the high-tech society we live in and it won't be something to brag about.  Social skills are suffering, families are losing precious time together, children are starving for their parents undivided attention.  The consequences we face in the near future will not be worth the price we are paying today.  

When you have some time, go to the mall, take a seat in the food court and observe.   Next time you're at a restaurant, look around.  Take a long, hard look.  You'll witness it for yourself.  People sitting across from one another, never saying a word because they're too busy on their phones checking Facebook.  Your sons or daughters on snapchat, taking selfies to post on Instragram. 

What I've noticed time and again is that it's not only the younger generation finding themselves lost for hours at a time on social media, it's all of us.  Life is passing by so quickly, yet millions are strolling along living on their phones, without ever noticing the beauty of the very people or beautiful nature standing right in front of them.

We are missing important moments because of a small device that fits in the palm of our hands. We take pictures instead of enjoying the event and creating a memory!  I've been guilty of looking at pictures on my own phone wondering, "When did I go there?"

What can be done about it?  Probably not much.  It's here and it's here to stay.  Social media is only going to grow larger by the day.  Can we make adjustments?  Sure, but it will take as much, or more, discipline as a new, healthy way of eating or an exercise program.

Unless or until parents stop using television, IPads, IPhones or Computers as their babysitters, there's not much hope at all, is there?  These children are the future leaders, after all.  

Unless or until adults make a conscience effort to limit their own time on social media, nothing will change.  Our society started on this track since Fast Food was introduced to us.  We've become spoiled to living a life of convenience.  We want the quick fix.  We want what we want when we want it, no matter the cost.  And, trust me, friends, it's costing us.

Relationships have been replaced by superficial, fake interactions with people we don't even know.  

Yes, social media, computers and the like have their place.  The problem is they've taken the place of everything.


 "I fear for the day that technology will surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots."




No comments: