Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Episode 6 - Recap

Tonight's episode was a little intense.  Between Pastor Coleman's illness, Pastor Mark and Cheryl's convictions about Halloween and our first Halloween Party, it got a little crazy!   For us, Halloween just means dressing up, being with family, eating lots of candy and then paying for it the next day while we nurse stomach aches.  On with the recap.

The Coleman Family:  First of all, thank God that Pastor Ken is out of the hospital and doing well!  We are praying and believing God for his complete healing.  He's such a wonderful man.  I was so impressed and proud of Taylor for the decisions she made on tonight's episode.  I've been telling you guys to she was awesome!  She's a young woman with a precious, pure heart who loves her family and Jesus.  It was so cool to watch her leading worship, what a voice!  I believe God is going to do mighty things through Taylor.  My heart broke for Marie tonight.  I hated seeing her cry.  What a strong woman she is.  Pastor Ken is blessed.  I fall more in love with the Coleman's every week! 

The Perry Family:  To trick or treat or not to trick of treat?  That was the question.  I admire this family very much.  I highly respect that Mark and Cheryl stick to their convictions, yet they didn't judge Olivia when she decided to take Eden out to trick or treat.  Their harvest gathering may have freaked some of you out, but I've been at services like that.  They can be very powerful and healing.  I learned tonight through this family that we do have to allow our children to make their own decision.  Olivia stood her ground and made a decision based on what she thought was best for Eden.  Whether others agreed with her decision or not, it was her decision to make.  There are times I don't agree with Teryn and Chad about decisions they make pertaining to my granddaughter, but she's their daughter, not mine.  It was sweet that Olivia's sister supported her and went with her trick or treating.  Sisters are awesome!  I'm blessed that my girls have eachother.  I fully understand that some things you want to talk about with a sister, not your mother.  I'm not offended by that whatsoever.  They are blessed to have eachother.  This family continues to make me go "ahhh" every week!  Love you Perry's!

The Koloffs:  When I saw the previews for this episode and the girls trying on costumes, I thought, "Oh, no, what did my girls do?!"  But, when I watched it, I couldn't stop laughing!  They had such a great time and who doesn't like dressing up for fun?  I won't lie, some of those outfits were a little much, but I know my girl's hearts and nobody got hurt.  My only complaint was I wished I'd been there with them!

Many years ago, I admit now, that we went a little overboard to "clean" our house out of anything our church deamed evil!  I'm not talking just spirits (although we did that too), I'm talking about CD's and Movies!  I loved my 70's classics, yet I was encouraged to get rid of anything that wasn't Christian.  I think I cried when I had to say good bye to Bread, Eagles and Chicago!  Teryn and Tawni had to gather up all their Disney Movies for the bonfire.   They never understood why (I didn't either really).  It makes me sad to think about it.  Looking back, I want to laugh and cry for what we put those girls through.

Here's a little background information.When Nikita and I got saved, which means we accepted Jesus Christ into our hearts as our Savior, the church we attended at the time believed some practices were unacceptable, one being Halloween any movies over PG, any kind of music other than Christian and so on.  Although, I rarely agreed, I didn't want to rebel, so I caved to the church and Nikita's ban on Halloween.  Honestly, it made me sad, but at the time, I felt it was the right thing to do as a new Christian. I figured these people knew more than I did because they'd been in church a lot longer than me.   Since then I've met some really nasty, wicked, judgemental, so called "seasoned" Christians, who know a lot less about God's love, grace and mercy than newer Christians do!  I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how long you've been a Christian, it's what's in your heart that counts.  But, that's a whole other message.

I grew up trick or treating.   So, before the Halloween Ban, my girl's had always been allowed to participate in Halloween.   We'd be so excited hunting for the best costume!  Each Halloween, we couldn't wait to get dressed up and visit the neighbors to show off their costumes.  For us, it was all about what we wore and the free candy!  I loved seeing the faces on the neighborhood kids when they were filled with excitement as they knocked on our door! Halloween never changed who we were or our love for God.  As for me, I just wanted the Reese Cup's and a Snickers Bars!  But, I want to make something clear, I respect others decisions about Halloween and whether they choose to participate or not.  I'm not judging the Perry's or anyone else that chooses not to go trick or treating.  And I know that some parts of Halloween have been turned into evil by others.  So, don't hear what I'm not saying.  This is a family's decision and noone, trick or treaters, or non trick or treaters, should be judged for their decision.  If those of us who don't feel conviction about dressing up, having a party or trick or treating are wrong, then we have Someone much bigger and better to answer to than our critics one day.  Until then, there's a lot more important things to fight about than Halloween.  How about the abortion issue for one?  I digressed again.  On with the recap!

In the girls' scene at the costume shop, Teryn references the church people coming to "burn our stuff."  I remember that day well.  So, when Teryn curtsied and said, "Hello, we are here (from the church) to burn your things", I fell on the floor laughing!  Dear God, I was so confused back then and I thank you God for Your deliverance!  I loved how Kendra looked out for her sisters.  Admittedly, I'm so thankful they didn't show up in those outfits.

I'm not a fan of horror movies (although it's weird that I admit loving the Walking Dead Series), so when Kolby asked to go to the haunted house with her friends, I told her I didn't think it was a good idea.  Aside from the Lord, I know my daughter better than anyone else on the planet.  I knew this was not a good idea.  She pressed to go, so I finally decided she was old enough to make her own decision about this.  I reminded her how much she hates stuff like that (she doesn't watch horror flicks either), but she insisted she'd be ok.  Watching her reaction at the haunted house made me sad for her, but I couldn't help myself.  I laughed a few times too! As our kids grow up, I understand that we must let them make their own decisions and pray they'll learn from them.  I don't think there's any question that this is one event Kolby won't be repeating anytime in the future, if ever.  Kolby suffers from ashthma, so when she started having trouble breathing, that wasn't an act.  I'm praising God that she didn't have a full blown attack and make it to the "light" of the fire.  I don't understand why people pay other people to scare the crap out of them, but to each their own. 

I loved seeing my precious granddaughter Salem on the show tonight.  Isn't she adorable?!  She's wrapped around my fingers and knows it.  Trick or Treating with Nikita was a little uncomfortable at first, but by the time the party rolled around, it was cool.  What I didn't realize was how short and risque that nurse outfit was till I saw it on TV!  While I was getting ready, I kept asking the girls, "Are you sure this isn't too much?"  They were like, "No, Mommy, you look awesome!"  Liars:)!  If I had it to do over again, I would have NEVER worn the nurse's outfit.  It was a little more than I would have liked.  But, it's too late now.  I'll just have to learn from it.  You should have seen the other one!  I love the whole nurse idea and giving out the test results, I just wish I would have used better judgement with the outfit.  My bad.   I can't take all the credit for the STD test prank either.  One of my closest frirends, Andrea, helped me come up with that idea.  I thought it was hilarious and fun.  Kolby's friends loved it, but I didn't mean to embarass her.  I need to be a little more careful about my actions in the future.  Embarassing Kolby is not something I enjoy, believe it or not.  My sense of humor seems to be humor me more than anyone else!

I was genuinely shocked when the guys walked in shirtless with their swim trunks on.  Besides the fact that it was freezing outside, I couldn't believe they'd show up at my house like that!  It was funny, though.  The party was a success and everyone had a great time. 

When I walked outside and caught Kolby and her friends TP'ing my house, I wanted to bust out laughing, but I couldn't!  I had to seem a little ticked off so they wouldn't think I approved, but I thought it was adorable.  And if TP'ing my house is the worst thing Kolby does to prank me, I can live with that!  The bigger prank was sticking me with cleaning it up and leaving me alone with Nikita to do it.  Seriously?! To this day, every time I mow my grass, I find pieces of toilet paper!

Another great episode!  Next week, it's all about the ink.  I'm not a fan, never liked them, especially on girls.  And even more so on my own daughters.  But, as you'll see next week, I had no power to stop it. 

See you on Lifetime!

No comments: