Saturday, May 8, 2010

Trudy


It was twenty four years ago. I was living in Charlotte, married to Teryn and Tawni's father, when I met her. Due to some family issues, my little sister Brenda, who was a teenager at the time was also living with us. I first saw her when I was working for a fitness center. She and her husband were visiting the tanning salon across from my place of work. I don't remember exactly, but I think they came over to check out our memberships and we struck up a conversation. From that day on, each day she came to the salon, we would talk. During one of our conversations, she mentioned she needed a sitter. I told her about Brenda. We came to find out that we lived in apartment complexes next to eachother. We exchanged numbers and before long, I was introducing her to my little sister, who became the regular babysitter to her son, Donnie.
Our friendship was instant. Trudy and I felt like we'd known eachother for years. We could talk about anything. Believe me, we did then and today, we still do. That was the beginning of our lifelong friendship. Trudy has been through all of the challenges's life has brought my way and I've been there for hers. The divorces, kid issues, deaths in the family, personal issues, my destructive habits, etc. etc. I swear this woman knows me better than anyone.

Three years ago, she called to let me know that her doctor needed to perform an emergency hysterectomy. That was how it started. That ugly word came not long after. Cancer. Chemotherapy came next. She handled it all with class. After chemotherapy treatments, she had to have full body scans every few months to make sure the cancer hadn't returned. Each evening before her scan, and the next morning during the ride into the hospital, we'd pray together. Like so many times she'd done for me, it was my turn to encourage and support her. And each time, the scans were clear and we would rejoice together and plan our next yearly weekend Chateau Elan trip. This is something we've done every year for 8 years. Away from husbands, kids, worries and it's our time. Noone's ever been invited on these trips. And we've made a pact that we will never take anyone else there, not even our husbands.

Three weeks ago, the call was quite different. The doctor's found something. There were spots on her lungs that needed to be biopsied. And a few days later, the results were in. The cancer was back and this time had metastized to her lungs. I was shocked. I got angry, I cried and then I got a grip.

This past Tuesday, Trudy started chemotherapy again. This time, it will be much more aggressive. She will have treatments for 9 hours a day, 3 days straight, with a three week break followed by another round. Then the waiting will begin. She will have another full body scan. The goal: to shrink the tumors so they can be removed surgically.

This cancer is called leiomyosarcoma. It's a rare, soft tissue cancer that attacks the soft tissue, i.e. lungs, liver, uterus. Only 10,000 people get it each year.

Trudy and I have long had a dream since we became friends. We've layed on our beds at Chateau Elan during our weekend trips and talked and imagined one day living as roommates when we're 80 to live out the last days of our lives together. (Sorry, George and Terry, but stats show that women outlive men, so this is why we started making these plans years ago!).

Trudy and I still have lots we want to do. When Trudy is well again, Chateau Elan, here we come!
And when we're 80, we'll take a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, please.

2 comments:

Terry's Queen said...

Wow - God sure does know what He's doing when He puts people in your life as evidence with our friendship. We are so blessed to have a friendship that has stood the test of time and not only do we have a bond that will never be broken but we have been smiled upon to have the kind of friendship that goes beyond the heart. I'll never forget so many years ago when two young girls sat on the curb of the apartment complex crying their eyes out because we had to move to Louisiana. God brought us back together again and again over the years and our friendship has grown from friends to something greater, something only God could ordain. God is good and He will use this for His glory! I may need your help in the coming years when I give my testimony though - remember I am the Gail to your Oprah and not so comfortable with the spotlight. The new and improved Golden Girls here we come!!

First time mom said...

I am praying that she gets well soon!
Oh and I thought you'd like to know that the other day I was at a "Family Life" AKA sex ed meeting for the county and I mentioned how I loved having you come and all the other teachers agreed too :) Some disappointing news: we are not an abstinence only state any more...and there is talk of whether or not we will have to demonstrate how to use condoms. Pray for us!