Monday, December 14, 2009

Follow Up From The "Twilight Zone"

I thought I should let my faithful readers in on what happened since seeing the "doctor" I wrote about in my previous blog. My phone rang the other night. I didn't recognize the number, but answered anyway, which is out of character for me.

It was her. I took the call in my bedroom, so as not to startle my family. Yes, people, she actually called me. She told me how disaappointed she was that I had called her office to inform them that I wouldn't be returning. She said she felt such a "connection" with me. She went on and on until she was called away by someone in her office. She said, "Can I call you back so we can talk about this more?" I said, "No, what's the point?" She called back anyway about 30 minutes later. Ok, this was starting to piss me off.

She starts again. She brings up the "connection" we made again. She says she'd really hoped we could become friends. She seems annoyed when I tell her that's not going to happen.

She goes on to plead with me to give her another chance. She says, "Ok, if you don't want to be friends, can I at least be your doctor?" WHAT?! I again told her it wasn't going to happen. I wished her well and reminded her that she'd known me all of 10 minutes before telling me some very personal, intimate details about her life.

I said, "Let me give you a piece of advice. Next time you feel a "connection" with a patient, ask her/him to lunch after the exam. But, hey, what do I know?"

Then she says, "Is there really nothing I can say to change your mind?" I replied. "Nothing comes to mind." and proceeded to hang up the phone.

Thirty minutes later, I received four new text messages. No, I'm not kidding.

No comments: