Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Christmas Memory

When I was 10 years old, my parent's divorced. I was devastated. The first Christmas after the divorce would be our first without Dad. My brother, two sisters, Mom and I had moved to another state to live with our grandmother, so we were far away from Dad. We weren't able to see him for months. Because we didn't have any money, we wouldn't be able to see Dad or vice versa.

On Christmas Eve, there was a knock on the door at my Granny's house. I ran to the door and answered it. I was shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was my father, standing before me. I opened the screen door and jumped in his arms. He twirled me around as I sobbed in his arms.

The toys I asked for? I don't remember one of them. But, this was one Christmas gift I've never forgotten.

I miss you, Dad.

No comments: