Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!


It's Mother's Day! I'm excited to say that I decided to take a trip. It's a short one, but hey, you take what you can get! My girls said, "Mommy, can you be on a trip on Mother's Day? Shouldn't you stay home? Are Mom's supposed to be gone on Mother's Day!" Ah, the innocence of children! They just don't quite get it! And they'll never understand until they're mother's themselves!

Don't hear what I'm not saying. I love being a mom. It's the greatest accomplishment of my life. I am Teryn, Tawni, Kendra and Kolby's mother and I couldn't be more blessed. I couldn't be more proud of the daughter's I've raised. I adore my girls. All four of them. (And even my son-in-laws). I love being with all of them, individually or in a group. I enjoy our holidays together, family vacations, daily phone calls, e-mails and txt messages, but sometimes, I want to do something for me and only me! And if you think that's selfish, then, apparently, you're not a Mom!

I can remember when I was around 8 years old, my mother was going to see Elvis Presley with my Dad (yes, that's right, the "King"!). I begged her to let me go. I said, "Mommy, you won't have as much fun without me! Please take me with you. I NEED to be with you! Don't leave me here with a babysitter! PLEASE, I'm begging you! You will regret it if you don't take me! How can you leave me?" I literally meant what I said. I was convinced I was not only doing this for my benefit, but my mommy's as well. There was no way she could have as much fun without me! I noticed the guilt look on her face. Hmmm, I was getting somewhere. I kept it up. The crocodile tears, yea, that would do it. My plan was going to work. It had to! Not quite. I was shocked when she walked right out of the door. (good for you Mom!). Seems my Mom needed "me" time too!

So, Happy Mother's Day to all you Mom's, especially mine! Do yourselves a favor. Take a break today. Stay in bed. Go to a spa. Get your nails done. Read a book. Take a long, hot bath without interruptions. Send the children away. Go away yourself. Have a "Sex and the City" Marathon! Do something you've been wanting to do, but haven't gotten around to! Come on, go for it! For those of you who've lost your mother's, my heart goes out to you. For those of you who still have them, call them. Let them know how much they mean to you. Give them a break for the mistakes they've made. Mom's aren't perfect, they're just women who've bore children. You never know if this could be the last Mother's Day that you get to send a card or make that phonecall. Many people I know have lost their mother's. I'm happy to say I still have mine. My daughter's still have theirs. But, one day, the reality is, we won't. They'll be gone. I'll be gone.

Yes,we Mom's need a break sometimes! My trip won't be long and God willing, I'll be back safe and sound, but, by gosh, I'm going!

And I refuse to apologize or feel guilty about it........ok, so, who am I kidding?! Of course I'll feel guilty............I'm a MOM!!! It's in our job description!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Vikki. I hope you have a wonderful day!!

"To Be Strong". said...

You go on that trip and have yourself a blast. Why you ask? Because you are a Mom and your tired!
Love, Val

The Pilot's Wife said...

happy hot mama day, from one hot mama to another!hehehe