Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day

One of the most important roles on this planet, in my opinion, is that of a Father. My father did the best he could with what he knew, but he would admit that he failed more times than he succeeded at being a father to me and my siblings. I missed out on that special Father/Daughter relationship throughout my childhood and well into my adult years. Through forgiveness, I'm thankful that I made peace with him and we were able to enjoy a mutually respectful relationship the last 5 years of his life. I truly miss him. If you're a Father, be sure your children know you love them, that you'd die or fight for them if you had to.  Be their hero. 

And if you're a divorced Father, that's not an excuse to neglect your children. They need you.  Any man can make a child, but that doesn't make him a Father. Take your role serious. Your child's identity and well-being depend on it.  My two oldest daughters' biological Father was never around for them. He's caused them more pain throughout their lives than any man they've ever known. He abandoned, ignored and neglected them. It wasn't only their loss to have not have known the love, protection and respect from their biological Father, but it was his loss as well.  I've seen first hand the effects the lack of an earthly Father's love has on the future decisions of their young and adult children.  I've lived it myself.  

Towards the end of my Dad's life, he would often say he wished he'd done so many things differently, mostly the kind of Father he was. Although I knew he genuinely meant what he said, it didn't change the past.  Even though we came to a healthier place in our relationship, of which I'm forever grateful, it couldn't change what could have been. I truly believe that haunted him and proved to be the greatest regret in his life.


If you didn't have a Father that loved, nurtured, protected and honored you, that's no excuse to be that same kind of Father to your own children! Change the legacy and break the cycle. Your children are depending on you! They are rooting for you! No matter what kind of Father you've been up till now, you have the power to change it! Ask The Lord to help you. Ask Him to show you how to be the Father He's called you to be. Seek forgiveness, even beg for it, if you have to! I would bet that no matter what you've done, your children will run to you with open arms! Even as an adult woman, I never stopped praying, hoping, wishing and longing for my earthy Father to accept and love me.  I never stopped desiring that special relationship a daughter longs for with her Father or his approval.  I desperately wanted to know he was proud of me. So, pick up the phone, drive to their home, walk down the hallway. Wherever your children are, go to them and make wrong things right.  Pride will destroy you. Humble yourself before them. 

On your death bed, I don't believe you'll be saying "I wish I'd spent more time at work".  If you're still here and you have children, it's not too late . Make things right. Make things better. Be the Father that God called you to be. Your children will inherit the rewards of your decision. Or they will suffer because of them. It's your choice. You decide. 

Happy Father's Day. 


1 comment:

blablabla said...

Hi Victoria!
Would you like to answer 21 questions about your life, faith and so on...?
Have a nice day